Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Simmer down!

I was watching The View today.  I don't get to see it every day, but I do like to catch the hot topics when I can.  Some days it cracks me up and other days it gives me something to think about.  Today was one of those days.

As usual, Joy and Elisabeth were fighting about politics - liberal vs. conservative, one defending the current government, the other criticizing.  Neither giving in.  In fact, it turned into a yelling fest between the two of them.  Finally, Barbara jumps in asking them both to calm down.  Then she started talking and I just wanted to hug the woman.

She talked about how out of control we are.  How this whole left vs. right is blocking the way of getting to common ground.  How angry both sides are and instead of talking and trying to find resolution, it's easier to yell, name call, point fingers, blame and get pissed off at each other.  She pointed out this was happening right in front of her, between FRIENDS, so imagine what it's like amongst those who don't consider themselves friends.  She talked about how it's time to take a breath and focus on what needs to be done and not on which side "wins" or "loses".
I don't always agree with Barbara Walters, but dammit, I think this time she has the right idea.  Why are people so mad?  What happened to the government, the community, our citizens working together to find common ground instead of always having a winner and a loser?  When did this "all or nothing" mentality take over common sense and the "do the right thing" attitude?  Where are the level headed people who can think things through for the better of our government and society and not focus on their own personal benefit (ie: campaign $$!)?

I'm already tired of the ads with one candidate telling me about all the things the other candidate did wrong.  All that says to me is that the accusing candidate must not have done anything productive or he/she would be shouting that accomplishment from the rooftops!  They ALL do it.  I don't care what the opponent did wrong.  I want to know what YOU did right.  What you WILL DO if elected.  Let the cable and local news people, the watchdogs, etc. shout out the flaws of the other candidate(s).  And really, most of what they say about one another is so skewed and taken out of context that you can't really believe it anyway.

Come on people!  Why can't we all just get along?

4 comments:

  1. *Clap. Clap, clap. Clap, clap, clapclapclapclapCLAP!!!!*

    That's my standing ovation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! The fight is what people focus on now - not at all the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It amazes me that Elizabeth hasn't been dropped from the show before now. I can always choose to ignore Joy Behar, but Elizabeth loves to go the dramatic route on a variety of subjects.

    Give me Whoopie any day. She seems to be the only one with common sense and the knowledge when enough is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No doubt!! Can't we just love one another? Or at least vow that we are all in this together and so we should support one another as Americans, dammit!
    Where is the LOVE?!? (the Roberta Flack version)

    ReplyDelete