Thursday, September 2, 2010

NY, NY

So y'all know I went to BlogHer and experienced more than I cared to of the emergency medical system in NYC during that weekend.  If not, go HERE.  What you may not know is that I spent a total of ten days in NYC, five of them with my husband and prior to heading to NYC, we were in Philadelphia for a day.

We started in Philly, where I flew to hook up with MG.  He was there for work. 
We had a nice dinner and putttered around South St.  We ate dinner at the Latest Dish.  It was delicious and I fell in love with this drink, the raspberry zinger, not the key lime cocktail (though it looks good) or the dirty ho.
I loved the raspberry zinger.  I had two.  Unfortunately, I did not get the dirty ho included in this photo, because I know many of you will be interested how to make that drink.  Maybe you Philly readers can get to the Latest Dish for me and let me know.
We then headed to NYC via train.  Before we left Philly, we got a call and found out we would be going here.  We were THRILLED and had a blast.  We ended up in the fourth row, center.  Awesome!  Mark Wahlberg was the main guest.  We also saw Will Ferrell leaving the studios that day.
Once again, I rotated the picture and saved it.  Why does it turn it back when I add it to my blog?
We stayed at a hotel in the UN Plaza in Midtown East.  It was a nice quiet area compared to other parts of the city.
This was the view from our room on the 36th floor.
After dropping off our luggage and getting checked in, we headed here:
Jo in Times Square
MG very quickly became claustrophobic.  Times Square was probably our least favorite place and we stayed clear of it the rest of the trip.
This was our subway stop every day.
It was good we were at a well known stop.  It made it easy for me to remember once I was on my own.
We went to Central Park three times I think.
We took the Circle Line Cruise from Midtown West, to Lower Manhattan to Midtown East.  We saw parts of Brooklyn/Long Island and Staten Island.  We saw all the sites along the way, including the Statue of Liberty.  Besides the American flag, I don't think there is any symbol that says "America" like this statue does.

This is MG and I on the Circle Line Cruise.  This was our one and only official "We are tourists" photo. 
We happened upon a little festival where MG got a yummy snack and we bought cheapie t-shirts for the kids.  Unfortunately, by the time we were there, the festival was shutting down.
We went to the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Building) and watched the city go dark.
The red, white and blue lights are the top of the Empire State Building.
We had dinner at Fanelli's in SOHO with a family friend who is co-oping in NYC.  I had dinner with her again after MG left.  She's such a sweetie!

This is what we looked like a little over a week later when she visited for her birthday.  Stop laughing.  You would also look like this if you broke your dominant arm and elbow and couldn't fix your hair or apply mascara or wear a shirt with sleeves!
We had a yummy breakfast at Bubby's Pie Co. in Tribeca.  We ate in Little Italy and Chinatown.  Thanks to the King of NY Hacks, we went to this awesome litttle place in Chinatown called Wo-Hop (the downstairs location).  We would have never found this place without his suggestion.  In fact, we had an exact address and we STILL had trouble finding this place!  It is exactly the kind of place we love - small, locally owned, filled with locals and cool tourists, the police were coming in for carry out.  We shared a table with a very young European couple.  The food was awesome and our only regret was that we didn't have a fridge and microwave in our hotel room so we could take our leftovers back for a late night snack.

We went to many of the museums, like MoMA, The Museum of Natural History and Hyde Planetarium and the Guggenheim.  No trip to NYC would be complete without seeing this Frank Lloyd Wright design!

Of course, we visited the World Trade Center site.  A somber and reflective moment of our trip.
The Soup Man (aka The Soup Nazi) re-opened his Seinfeld location just before our visit.  We could not resist going to get some soup from here.  The lobster bisque was delicious, even on a scorching hot day.
And yet, another picture that won't stay rotated the correct way.
We went to the top of the Empire State Building.
 From there we headed to the Flat Iron Building. 

If you are a music lover, it's a must to go here.  Well, it was for me anyway.  The Dakota House, the site of John Lennon's assassination.

 And then a quick trip through Strawberry Fields in Central Park.
After MG left, I spent the day in Greenwich Village.  I enjoyed some quiet time reading in Washington Square Park and watching the street performers.  I walked around and I got the most awesome pedicure.  Honestly, I have never had ANYONE massage my feet and calves the way this woman did.  I was in heaven!
Cool that Greenwich Village named a street after my husband!  Coincidentally, when I was in college, I had a boyfriend who lived on this street.  I tried to find his apartment, but that was 20 years ago and, well, my memory just is not that good.
 No laughing when I tell you I attended mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral.  It's true.  And yes, the church is still standing.  No lightning strikes, no earthquakes, no crumbling of the walls.
I probably don't need to explain at this point that something is screwy with importing rotated pictures.
That brings you to the end of my/our trip.  It was fun, it went fast and we had a blast.  I then moved to my new hotel for BlogHer, met my roommate, hung with her and attended the BlogHer events, and well, we all know what happened there.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great time!! Much needed time away from kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous. Very. Well, aside from the broken limbs, "bad" hair, and no mascara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at your pictures makes me want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, catching up by reading backwards as I am, I don't know what went down with the blogging conference...I will though... but I am completely jealous and happy for you over your NYC trip.

    and I would pay money to look as good as you do with a broken elbow. or any day for that matter.

    ReplyDelete