Monday, July 12, 2010

Who am I?

I often wonder this question.  I think most people do.  Or maybe they don't and I just tell myself that to make me feel better. 

In one way, the answer to this question about me is pretty straightforward:
  • I'm a mom and a wife.
  • I LOVE my husband and kids more than I could ever put into words.  I feel almost that strongly about my extended family, even though many of them get on my nerves.  And some of them I prefer not to spend much time with.  Doesn't mean I don't love them, though.  I just might not like them very much.  Make sense?
  • Though I am happy here, I could do without living in the suburbs.
  • I love music and concerts, especially alternative/indie rock.
  • I like to laugh until I cry, but I don't do it enough.
  • I rarely cry.
  • I love, love, love to read.
  • I think my friends, girls and guys both, ROCK!  Especially my BFF.
  • Flying causes me anxiety.
  • I like my prescription drugs. (see above bullet point)
  • I'm a licensed massge therapist.  I was a Human Resources Manager for several years before having children.
  • I am outspoken.  Sometimes TOO outspoken.  I am working on that.
  • I love hair stuff, jewelry, clothes, shoes...but the girliness kind of stops there.
  • I'm glad I had all boys because I don't think I could handle the dolls and ribbons and fairies and tea parties of a girl.
I think most people know those things about me.
Some things about me may be a little less known or may down right confuse people about me:
  • I am not a traditionalist, but WHEN (and when I say when, currently that seems to mean "if ever") I go to church, I prefer it to be an "old school" type of service.  This is one area where I have not moved forward.  I just hate those contemporary services so many churches are now doing.
  • I lean to the left, in politics and life in general.  However, for a variety of reasons (none of which are religious or morally based), I don't think people should live together before being married.
  • I don't like guns but think people should have the right to LEGALLY carry one if they so choose, though I think automatic weapons are unnecessary for civilians.  I just don't want to be around them when they are toting a gun. 
  • I'm fairly laid back, but suffer from quite a bit of anxiety.
  • I like change, but it causes me a lot of anxiety. 
  • Ok, let's just face it.  I have anxiety issues.
  • I am quick to judge though I am much better than I used to be at not letting those judgments prevent a friendship.  The result of that change is I've met some really neat people.
  • My best friend, of 20+ years, and I DID.NOT.LIKE.EACH.OTHER when we met and for quite a while after that.  I thought she was a bitch and she thought I was a snob.  Could be true?
  • I think many of the husbands I know are jackholes.
  • I don't like other people's kids, in general.  I like most of my friends' kids and my niece and nephews.  (Depending on who you are, you may think this should have been in the first list!)
  • I am forgiving, though it may take a few years for me to get there.
 So there I am.  Well, at least part of me.  I'm Jo.  So nice to meet you.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Jo! Nice to meet you! I have to say none of this information really surprised me. Since I've been reading you for like a year and a half now, I guess I've learned a thing or two about you! :-) The one that made me smile the most is that you generally don't like other people's kids! ME TOO! I feel the exact same way. Although I do love meeting the kids and getting to know the kids of people I like and love....but in general, I'm not an "other" kid type of person.

    I truly hope I get to meet you in NYC! (Still not sure if I'm going.... yikes!)

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like we have quite a bit in common. I absoultely think you should live with someone before your married (esp me because I am very difficult to live with! lol). I'm also with you on the anxiety, guns, and husbands :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your best friend are a match made in Heaven - first time I met Hubs I thought he was an jackhole and he thought I was a bitch - forgiving judgmental people are the best :-)

    So with you on the church thing, guns, anxiety and other people's kids. It's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I have been missing your posts. Something happened to my blogroll. Like I always say to my husband, I kinda like it when other kids come over because then I am really in love with my kids.
    I have seen around the ball fields that some moms I can't stand but the husbands are super nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, basically you're a normal person. As for being "layed back and anxious" I am EXTREMELY layed back, or so it would appear. Yet I'll put MY anxiety up against yours any day. I think we're laid back due to several things: anxiety is extremely exhausting. We'd PREFER to BE laid back, it's a lot cooler than being anxious, so we give it a good try. AND, I have a long list under HATE and very few under "let it live", so I've learned to accept myself whether others can or not....so in a way....I AM learning the art of "Layed back". I just wish I knew which version of lay, laid,layed and lie I'm supposed to use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't forget "I'm honest." :)

    ReplyDelete