Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Distracted Driving

There's a lot in the news these days about texting while driving.  Many cities and states are outlawing the practice and with good reason.  I personally almost rear ended a friend's car while texting and driving.  Of course, we had just outdriven a tornado and I was probably suffering from PTSD from the bed bug incident, so I was doubly, or maybe triply, distracted.  I haven't texted while driving since.

My entry today is not a lecture about driving while texting and how I think people should lose their license on the first offense.  Nope.  It's about other types of distracted driving and I wonder why people have gotten away with these things for so long.  Examples include:
  • putting on makeup while driving
  • sleeping while driving
  • typing on the laptop while driving or reading the paper/magazine/budget report while driving (hey, at least this guy has his hands free Bluetooth on!) 
  • eating while driving
Of course, I can't fail to mention the times I parents who drive while reaching into the back seat to pass a toy, a bottle/sippee cup or to smack their children into submission.

And what about changing the DVDs for the precious little ones or trying to get the iPod to work with the radio speakers.  The distractions never end!

Are we going to end up with one all encompassing bill outlawing all distracted driving or are we going down the road of lots of little laws to regulate all the different was we distractedly drive?

3 comments:

  1. Distracted driving is impossible to outlaw. There'll always be a kid in the backseat crying, an imp msg that needs to be sent or an emergency phone call to take lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they want to outlaw distracted driving, they'd have to outlaw driving altogether. lol. I am a new follower from MBC and I would love for you to come visit me at http://www.createyourtraditions.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen people reading (a book) while driving. Of course this means I was distracted by looking at them, so...

    ReplyDelete