Thursday, May 6, 2010

Shorthand. Or is it shorttext?

Yesterday, while on Facebook, the following messaging conversation took place between me and Big E, my now 13 yr. old son.  The colored comments are things I've added today so you get a clear picture of just what was going on in my head.

Big E:
Hi wats for dinner

Me:
whatever you want to fix. i will be at baseball and soccer practice.  (I should use proper capitalization.)
Don't you know how to spell "what"?  (I decided to not focus on the lack of punctuation since I had already not used capitalization.)
Maybe I should enroll you in summer school for a spelling class.

Big E:
Y

Me:
Y what? 

Big E:
Y wud u put me in summer school

Me:
because your spelling sucks.  (Yes, internet, I used the word "sucks" with my kid.  Judge me if you want.)

Big E:
No a lot of people talk like this in txts and fb  (He clearly has no idea how cool I am or he would realize I already know this.)

Me:
Maybe they should go to summer school, too.

Big E:
Y shud they

Me:
Because their spelling sucks, too.
or is that sux?  (See, I can use funny spelling, too!)

Big E:
Idk

Me:
wat?  (There I go again!)

Big E:
But like all people talk like this on fb
And idk means I don't know  (Duh!)

Me:
i know, i am just joking with you. LOL!  (Here I start to reveal my "shorttext" savvy with that well placed "LOL"...)
:)  (...and the smiley emoticon.  I am sure he was impressed.)

Big E:
:(

Me:
:)

Big E:
Can I get something to eat
Like BK

Me:
gtg.

The best part of all of this is that he really thought I had no idea about the shorthand used in texting.  He was in our family room and I was in our office and I thought for sure he could here me cracking up and that he would know I was totally messing with him.  He didn't.  We met in the kitchen and I fessed up that I was just kidding about summer school and I knew about the texting language.  He thought that was funny, but then quickly straightened me out that "gtg" is really supposed to be "g2g".  So I missed one.  He loved that.  He then started bugging me about "What's for dinner?" and my response?  "I-D-K."  Yep, I said it.  "I-D-K."  I managed to have an entire conversation with him using shorttext language and it drove him and my middle son to pure laughter.

10 comments:

  1. aw, you are a fun mom!
    Mine aren't texting yet, but my 8 year old has just started emailing, of course, while I am hovering over his shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that? Is why you rock as a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad they don't know we had a little practice back in the day when we may have used IM on AOL.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's shortthumbs! Or shortpointerfinger. Cheers ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just glad I'm not a mom in 2010. I would have my daughter's car equipped with sonar and a gps, and have a chip inserted into her earlobe as she thought I was just getting her ears pierced. Scary world out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to surprise my daughter with all my pop culture knowledge. Hopefully by the time she is old enough for me to impress I will actually know something impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter and I sometimes IM on Facebook chat even when we're in the house together. I think it makes her feel like she and I can have a private chat without brother and sis butting into her business. Her friends laugh at her when she tells them we IM. Come to think of it, my friends laugh, too. We don't mind: )

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg. my daughter and I have done the same thing several times!! (have done?) I thought we were nuts. I feel validated somehow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just can't bring myself to text with abbreviated spellings. Maybe it's the teacher in me?

    ReplyDelete