Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Political Machine

I have a lot of political opinions.  I don't typically go around sharing them with just anyone.  I do occasionally write about them here.  If you ask me about my opinion, I will give it to you. 

I don't run around shouting support for a specific person or people.  This last election, I did actually wear a shirt that was supportive of a presidential candidate. With it, I ran the risk of eye rolling and downright hateful glares from those in my ultra conservative community. If it happened, I didn't notice, so that was good.

We don't put stickers on our cars or signs in our yards.  We don't brainwash our children to support the candidates we support.  We even walk a fine line when they ask us who we are voting for and why.  We do tell them, but I temper my opinions some.  I try to present what each candidate stands for and explain why I agree/don't agree with each.  As with many things in my life, I sometimes find myself on the fence and it is usually only one or two things that sway me to one side.  MG and I do not vote straight party lines, we vote for who we think will do best under the circumstances.  Sometimes it's a Democrat, sometimes it's a Republican, sometimes it might be a Libertarian or an Independent.  We are sure to explain this to our kids.  But all in all, they generally don't see us being politically active or engaging in heated political discussions.  (I realize some might thing this is a good thing and others might think it's a bad thing.  That's ok, think what you want.)

So you can only imagine their surprise when I came home with this.
Not only did I come home with it, I put it in our yard!  For the public to see.  It was out there for, oh, about five minutes when one, or maybe all three, noticed.  The look of shock and confusion on their little faces was priceless.  Then the gasps and the questions.  "MOM!  Why is THAT.SIGN in our yard?"  "What does it mean 'Yes! Library'?" 

I got to explain how wonderful services like the library are not free and our government is no longer supporting them the way they used to and now they are counting on us.  I want them to know that we support the library.  I want the library to know we support them.  Heck, I go there at least once a week, I think the least I can do is pay a few more dollars in my property taxes to make sure they have the resources they need.  Granted, for some, it might be cheaper to just buy the books, but as much as I read, that is not the case.  And even if it were, I think EVERY community needs a good library.  Our library is a city library and we are not part of a larger system.  Though I could buy my own books, there are people in our community who can't.  And there are those who don't have home computers and internet that appreciate this service provided by the library.  And so on, and so on.  My kids now know, or at least were told even if they don't remember, why it's good to support the library!

They knew this was a hallmark day.  It was the day that I made a public show for something taking place in our elections.  Really, though.  Who can say no to the library?  I am surprised I am not seeing these signs in all of our yards.  Why aren't more people blasting our community with support for the library?  It seems like a no-brainer to me.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post and I am with you 100%. My kids have gone to the library with me since they were little. Our taxes are part of a large county, and all of our property taxes went up big time last year. Last August the library cut back its hours significantly—closed two days in a row each week and one or two hours off the end of the day. I think a lot of people complained because the library was always packed prior to this (computers always busy too). They just reinstated to the former hours. I bring home a load of magazines every two weeks so I don’t have to buy them and I am always getting late fees but I don’t mind paying them. It’s such a great feeling leaving with a bag full of free books and magazines.
    I love learning from my kids and when my oldest was in 6th grade he picked Ben Franklin for a project. Through my son I learned that Franklin started the library—I love learning this stuff.
    BTW I am also “with you” on the long hair in your prior post. Parents have to pick their battles and it really is a non-issue if they wash it, comb it, and do all the other stuff they are supposed to do like schoolwork, etc. My middle son grew his hair long in 4th and 5th grade and before his present 6th grade he has changed/cut it into a “shaggy skater” look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lord how I wish there were more sensible people, such as yourself, in this world. It would be a better place. Or maybe that's how the majority is, and it's just the wackados on the edges driving me mad? Who knows?

    I do know libraries rock. Toot, toot - I always round up my utility bill to the next dollar - our city donates the extra change directly to the library. LOVE that. Come the first week of summer, I'm taking the 4-year-old to get his first library card.

    I seriously don't know who's more excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd think every parent would have that sign in their yard....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you'll start library yard sign movement in your neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete