Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I gave it my below average. And I'm proud of it.

It's not often one will readily admit to not doing their best.  I especially fall into that category.  At minimum, I go for "good enough", which means doing whatever "it" is 100% to my satisfaction/standards.  That doesn't mean it meets anyone else's standards, but it meets mine and that's really all that matters (unless of course my husband is involved and then I can compromise and by that I mean I can usually get him to see it my way).

Well, today, I consciously gave it my below average.  At work. 

If you don't know, I am a licensed massage therapist.  I am pretty good at what I do.  I try to do better than "good enough".  I try to do my best.  Sometimes I'm even better than that.

Not today.  Today I was one of two therapists in a couples massage.  This session was with two women clients, one who is moving out of state later this week.  They talked the entire time.  I'm cool with that.  I can either tune them out or listen in and get any good gossip I can.  The client who is moving was talking about what was in their new area to do this summer.  The topic of an amusement park came up.  Then the client said, "But I hear it's kind of 'dark'".  At first I thought, "what kind of outside amusement park (which this one is) doesn't make use of the sunshine during the day and lights at night?"  Then I got it.  The more she talked about other things, I realized she was totally referring to the "type" of people who populated the park.  It was that very moment, that moment when reality set in, that my massage therapy skills tanked.  I mean really tanked.  I couldn't remember hardly anything from massage therapy school.  It was like I never passed the Ohio Medical Board exam.  Those gzillion hours of school, studying and outreach work?  Never happened.

Okay.  It wasn't really THAT bad.  But it was clearly one of the worst massages I have ever given.  I promise, anyone could have given her the level of massage I gave today.  No education or training necessary.  And as far as I am concerned, she got better than she deserved.

4 comments:

  1. A nard smack on the back of head would have been nice as well.

    "Oops, my hand slipped. Silly me..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's supposed to be "hard" smack.

    Sorry, I left my brain at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's kind of odd, especially considering she was part of a minority herself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well....I could have massaged her for hours and never figured out what "dark" meant. I was thinking it meant "full of those people who wear all that dark makeup and black lipstick" but that's ....uh....GOTH! That's it!.. but I'm still just wondering what you do with a client that has sores on their body. lol

    ReplyDelete