Thursday, May 27, 2010

Facebook Friend Request. Ignore.

I recently had two FB friend requests.  I ignored them both.  Have you ever done that?  Do you feel guilty about it?

I have a rule for FB - no parental types.  That doesn't mean if you are a parent, I won't friend you.  What it means is, if you have a parental-like relationship with me, it's a no go on FB.  No MIL, no aunts/uncles, not my own parents (if they were on FB).  Kind of like this blog.  Those people and I tend to have VERY different views on life.  I don't need them seeing any more of my snark than they see in person.  I also don't need them to know more than they already do, let alone what my FB friends are doing.  I like to draw a line between family and friends.  Kind of like separation of church and state.  I support both, but I don't want them linked together.  And I like some privacy.  Well, as much privacy as I can have on FB and blogging, right?

The other rule is that your FB request is denied if you are an inflammatory poster.  You know, posting updates that incite a riot or are hateful or result in lots of negative and ugly comments between commenters.  I had a "friend" on FB like that.  She had considered joining my moms group and then she friended me.  But she posted one day some anti-homosexual comments.  I don't mind differing opinions than my own, I just ask that one express their opinions in a respectful way.  So I "unfriended" her.  She has now asked to be friends again.  I clicked on "ignore."  (Oh, and thankfully, she didn't join my moms group.)

2 comments:

  1. yes, I ignore friend requests sometimes. my rule is that hey have to be an actual friend, not some kid who happens to be in my high school yearbook who I never actually knew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many people who try to friend you that really just want to creep on your FB and know what you're up to...Deny!

    ReplyDelete