Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Are you sailing around the world? It looks that way.

I have been on many trips - trips alone, trips with my husband, trips with husband and friends together, trips with husband and our kids, trips with girl friends and trips with girlfriends and kids.  Some have been two+ week trips, some have been shorter. 

In all those trips, NEVER has planning been involved that required more than a few e-mails of "I'm bringing Captain Morgan's" or "I'm bringing a breakfast dish for Saturday" and "I'm bringing the fruit salad for the breakast on Saturday" or "I'll bring the paper plates and plastic cups" etc., etc. and then a follow up list of who is leaving when and what each person is bringing.  Sometimes it was as simple as one little e-mail: "I'll meet you at the airport at X time.  I think I am going to have to pay extra for the weight of my luggage."

My husband goes away every year to a remote island location in Canada with a group of guys.  Friends, let me tell you, you would think they were planning a trip to sail around the world.  Or maybe spending a year on a deserted island.  They get together a minimum of three times, and I am being conservative with that guess, to go over who is bringing what.  They organize a spreadsheet with the foods and meals assigned to each guy, with who is bringing what tool or camping item (they mainly sleep in cabins, but they do camp a couple of nights on various islands in the bay), how much each person spends so they can split the cost evenly.  They organize an itinerary since different people leave at different days/times depending on their various schedules.  I'm telling you, this is a process of such magnitude that I'm sure I cannot really convey the details that are involved in their planning.  Maybe I can sneak a copy of the spreadsheet and share it with y'all some time.

It's been a long time since I've seen the wives of these men, but in the past we have laughed and laughed about their organization of this trip.  We have been envious of the meals they cook.  And we have wondered why it is they need to do all this organizing when all it takes for us is a couple of e-mails and some packing to get our trips organized?  I think it has something to do with getting together and drinking beer on multiple occasions.

4 comments:

  1. I blame the spreadsheet. Men do love their spreadsheets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - they organize meals?!? I can see the camping tools, but meals?? Amazingly organized, or, like you say, excuses to sit around and drink beer while they 'organize'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with mama-face - it's all about the technology.

    I wanna go. Unless beans are on spreadsheets. Then, no thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised that they even cook!? That's amazing. However, I'm with you. I could decide to go on a trip, pack, and be on the road within the hour.

    ReplyDelete