Friday, April 30, 2010

Before and After

I am not a great housekeeper.  I don't like clutter, but that doesn't mean we don't have any, or maybe a lot, around our house.  I do usually keep it contained in one or two areas.  I don't like my house to be unkept, but I'm also not a great role model for picking things up.  I definitely don't like things to be dirty, but I am not one of those people who has a cleaning "schedule" and having a housekeeper went by the wayside when we moved back to OH.  I am the type of person that cleans when something gets dirty enough that it bothers me.  Sometimes, that could be one thing out of place or one speck of dust or one drop of dirt.  More often than not, it means that the house is such a mess I would be embarrassed if someone stopped over unexpectedly.  When that happens, I just crack the front door and talk to my visitor that way.  Ha!  Just kidding.  I will invite you in, but I will apologize for the mess.  And I will clean after you leave for fear another visitor will pop in.  The best and most effective way for me to get my house clean is to plan a gathering at my house - book club, happy hour, dinner with friends - really, anything that means I will be having visitors and I have to get my house under control.

I don't like unfinished projects or rooms that are not properly painted and decorated. However, if you look around my house, mainly the upstairs rooms, you will see some rooms have made it past the painting stage, but not to the final personalization stage, often called decorating. Our master bedroom has yet to be painted. It is still the most boring beige you have ever seen, compliments of the previous owners, who were about the most boring people that have ever built a house.  I just hung window treatments in our dining room.  We have lived here 2.5 years.

I have three boys.  And their friends who come in and out.  And a husband.  None of them seem to really know how to hit the toilet full on.  Or maybe they don't shake enough afterward and the piss dribbles onto the side of the toilet and/or floor.  Or maybe it's because frequently, two boys are pissing into the toilet at once, which is sure to result in poor aim due to the laughing and the pushing one another while pissing.  Or it could be that there is one boy taking a piss and another thinks it would be funny to throw open the door and scare him, resulting in piss flying everywhere.  Whatever it is, the end result is my downstairs bathroom smells like piss.  (Their bathroom, upstairs, probably does, too. However, I don't go in there unless we are expecting overnight guests who may be using that bathroom.  Thankfully, my husband takes charge of that room and he has the kids clean it on a fairly regular basis.  Again, since I don't go in there, I am not sure what "clean" means to them.)  Anyway, I was so fed up with smelling piss.  No amount of cleaner, scrubbing or air freshener was going to remove or cover up the smell.  So I bought a heavy duty steamer.  If you follow me on Facebook, you may have seen my comments about my excitement over ordering and receiving this little miracle machine.

To try it out quickly, I steamed the gunk around the kitchen sink faucet.  That thing is powerful.  I used the straight nozzle, that you use for tight spaces, like in between the faucet mount and the sink.  I then just pointed that nozzle on the floor grout.  OMG.  There was a white line of cleanness!  I was stunned.  I ran and got one of the little round brush thingys and ended up doing 1/2 of my kitchen.  I finished the other half the next day.  I also did the bathroom, which now smells steam clean fresh.  However, in the process of cleaning it, I got to smell the stench steaming hot piss.  Gag.  I really don't recommend that and suggest maybe you wear a gas mask if you are going to take on this challenge.  I did open the window.

So here it is.  The little miracle machine!
 Here is what it can do!
Before

After

Before
 

After
The lighting is a little different on these last two, but you get the idea!

I am in "clean" heaven and it really was easy!  I only went over the floors once and I used the softest brush.  Imagine if I had used a more "scrubby" brush.  Maybe next time, which hopefully will not be six years from now. I'm fairly sure the grout had not been cleaned since the house was built.  (And here is my two cents when building a home - don't pick light colors because "they go with everything!".  Live it up a little and think more along the lines of "what hides the dirt best?"  Then you'll get something that is less work and a little bit of color in your house.  I'm pretty sure the builders of this home were terrified of anything that wasn't white or beige.  I did meet the wife.  She had a "beige" personality.)

The best part of having a steam cleaner is that the temperature of the steam is hot enough to kill viruses and bacteria and there are NO CHEMICALS!

5 comments:

  1. And they are super expensive, are they not?? I have been coveting one of those for quite some time.

    I have a bathroom that never gets used unless my youngest has friends over and wtf is it with the not flushing of the toilets? Do they think it works differently than their toilet? Does it? And then I forget and don't see it for far too long. EWWWWW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based purely on the horror shows that are the bathrooms my family of boys/men use (seriously!! GAH! Do they not get how nasty they leave the bathroom!?), I'm tempted to get one of these and then make them clean the floors in there. I may never have to use the word "AIM!" again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I am in LOVE with your steam cleaner. My sister's boyfriend thinks he lives here, and there is piss all over my bathroom. I never knew how freaking disgusting men's bathrooms were until mine became one.

    I am sooo envious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I. want. that.

    That's all.

    Oh, sorry forgot, the peeing at the same time thing? WTH? Hubs thinks it's funny and screams "don't cross the streams." Hillarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O.M.G... That better be my mommy's day present!

    ReplyDelete