Tuesday, March 23, 2010

a new page.

So yesterday, I was all caught up in the way the healthcare bill passed.  I still don't like it.  I still think a lot of sneaky deals were made and that the bill should have stood on its own merits without having to convince, coerce, bribe people to vote.  That makes me skeptical about the bill.

I also would have like to have seen a more "equal" representation for support of the bill.  I think there are many reasons there aren't - the Republicans don't like most of what is proposed by the Democrats, the Democrats don't want to be caught agreeing with, or event talking to, the Republicans.  I think at this point, it's not "let's do what is right and in the best interest of our country" but instead it's become a battle of wills - us vs. them type mentality and in that, no one wins.  There are no compromises or working together.  I think a lot of noses are being cut off to spite their faces.  (Did I get that phrase right?)

BUT, I do think there are a lot of good things in this bill.  As someone who has been denied insurance coverage, and would be again if I had to purchase it outside of my husband's big employer, I like the no pre-existing condition clause.  As someone who got a job right out of college and then the company went out of business and left me without insurance, I like that parents can now keep their kids on their policies for longer.  I am happy that I would be able to do that for my kids if they needed it.  I could go on with some of the other things I like.  I don't need to, though, because the only point I wanted to make is that, though there are some things I've heard that make me concerned and nervous, and I am anxious to see how this all pans out financially, for my family and for our national deficit, there are some good things, too.  For now, I'm going to focus on those.  I'm excited to see how it all works out - the bickering, the arguing, the changes, the attempts for repeal - over the years.

2 comments:

  1. yeah, I feel similar to you. I feel like the whole political system is just a big chess game. I wish they would grow up and focus on what is right for the country instead of what is right for their political parties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like the no preexisting condition thing too. lord knows, this family needs it. however, yesterday was a very, very sad day in our house. i think my husband feels like someone has come along and kicked his feet out from under him. he loves what he does, and is good at it. now he's discouraged and frustrated.

    i watched the entire health care summit, and the doctors (all republicans) on the panel all had very valid concerns that were completely dismissed. oh well.

    ReplyDelete