Wednesday, March 3, 2010

It was the highlight of my day.

I think most of you know that I love to color my hair.  If you've known me a really long time, like since high school, you know I love to color my hair all different colors.  And I've done just about everything, except for the really "fake" ones like blue and green.  All the other colors have made an appearance on my head though:  all shades of red, including flame and cherry, eggplant/burgundy, blonde, all shades of brown/carmel, highlights, lowlights.  Lately, I've just been sticking to red.  Last week, I decided I would try a brown color with just a little red in it and then have my mom put in some highlights since I was going to be highlighting her hair.  I bought a pretty color and when I was done, I still had really red hair.  I honestly think I was meant to be a redhead. 

Anyway, my mom came down on Friday and I mixed my chemicals like any good chemist does - in a bowl decorated like a soccer ball using a plastic knife to stir the goop with.  I am a professional, after all.  Well, a professional massage therapist, a professional human resources manager, even a professional mom, but NOT a professional hairstylist.  That's beside the point.  I got it all mixed and instructed my mama what I wanted.  She's not a professional hairstylist, either.  Again, that's beside the point.  So as she's applying the highlights, she says, "So, what color is this going to be?"  She about shit when I said, "I don't know.  I've never used this stuff before.  I am just hoping I have streaks of lighter color.  The color my hair is was not what I was expecting, so who knows how this will turn out.  The product says 'iridescent' highlights, whatever that means."  She kind of laughed and said, "Well, I guess we can't go wrong if you don't know what to expect."  It turned out really pretty, though next time I will use a stronger peroxide so the highlights are lighter and do more of my hair so the highlights are more noticeable.  I went very conservatively (which is not in my nature) this time since I didn't really know what I was doing.  I don't have any before pictures and I don't know how well the highlights will show up in a picture.  If I get a good one, I'll post it.

My mom's hair turned out good, too.  She felt the same way I did, though.  She wants it to be a little lighter the next time.

We're thinking we should go into the haircoloring business.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the pictures! I'm so afraid to color my hair in case it doesnt' come out right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can practice on me in august! i bet it looks awesome. i have been every shade in the book, as well.

    ReplyDelete