Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Burrito heaven

Not too long ago, a friend shared a recipe with me that I published HERE.  It was an instant hit with me and several others who have been around when I have made it.  One of them kindly shared she had a burrito recipe that was similar.  I made the burritos last week for a friend who was recently diagnosed and had surgery for breast cancer.  She is a vegetarian who doesn't like mushrooms (Which I just don't get.  I don't understand how anyone cannot like mushrooms, especially a vegetarian!) and her husband doesn't like beans.  There went every vegetarian chili recipe I own.  Their kids?  They like pasta but not red sauce.  I was feeling very recipe challenged until I remembered the burrito recipe.  I doubled the quantity and kept a batch for my family.  I LOVED them the first time and  the leftovers were even better.  My husband liked them, but being he's not a huge fan of sweet potatoes and he's a total carnivore, I doubt that he would request them, unless I added some meat.  The kids didn't touch them, but that's normal in these parts. 

So without further ado, here's the recipe:

VEGETARIAN BURRITOS

2 cups sweet potatoes, diced ½” cubes
1 cup frozen corn
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cumin
1 – 14 oz. can black beans, drained
1 green pepper, diced
1 ½ cups salsa
1 Tblsp. Lime juice
6 – 8” inch flour tortillas

1. Place sweet potatoes and corn in steamer. Steam until potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
2. Add remaining ingredients to sweet potatoes and corn.
3. Place about 1 cup of mixture on each tortilla. ** You can add shredded cheddar at this point if you choose.
4. Fold “burrito style” and place in a 9x13 pan sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, if desired. Cover with foil.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
6. You can serve with all the traditional burrito toppings that you like!

I made 1/2 of the one batch without beans since our friendly male friend doesn't like beans.  Word has it, they really liked them!

Also, before baking, you can wrap and freeze the burritos individually for lunches or smaller dinners.  Bon appetit!

3 comments:

  1. That looks awesome. I'm a veggie, and have been looking for a good burrito/taco recipe. I'm going to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I just tell my husband there is meat in these it'll be all good...and he will believe me. I'm checking to see if I have the ingredients as I type.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds yummy. I might be able to get Luke to go without meat for a night. ;)

    ReplyDelete