Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Oh Mr. Sandman...

I have had a problem with insomnia since my first pregnancy.  It went away after the bambino was born, but came back with the 2nd pregnancy.  That was one of the first signs I knew I was pregnant.  I seemed to get over it until I had surgery in 2001.  With ten weeks of recovery, no kids during that time and lots of pain meds and muscle relaxers, my sleeping schedule got all wonky.  I went a year not sleeping from about 2-6am.  I would squeeze in a couple of hours from 6-8am and then nap when the kids napped.  Really, I did this for a year.  I was foggy and forgetful all the time.  I'm foggy and forgetful now, too, but I was in my early 30's that first foggy and forgetful era and I did not have age as an excuse.

During that time, I was at the doctor and she asked about my sleep.  I told her I get abput eight hours of sleep.  I explained how I eeked those hours of sleep into the day and night.  She about flipped.  Apparently, during that surgery recovery, I totally whigged out my circadian rhythm and I just got so used to those weird sleeping hours, that I considered it "normal" in my head, but my body was saying "Enough!"  She gave me sleeping pills.  The warning said something along the lines of "do not take these pills unless you are in bed laying down because they will knock you on your ass."  Oh, I was so excited because damn, I wanted a good night's sleep.  So, that night, I warned my husband I was going down for the count and off I went.  I got in bed, all covered up.  I had my pill and my glass of water and a big smile on my face.  Water, drop pill in mouth, swallow.  Two hours later I was STILL awake.  Same thing on night two.  I ended up needing a different sleeping pill, which I took for about two weeks and I got myself back on track.  It was heaven.

Over time and with age, my sleeping is a little more sporadic.  I don't think I've had a week where I got a good night's sleep every night.  At least twice a week, I wake up around 3:00am and lay there for a good two hours, sometimes more, usually with the TV on for background noise.  I don't actually watch unless I am REALLY awake and know there is no chance in hell I am going back to sleep.  Most of the time I try to fake myself into sleeping.  You know, the "fake it til you make it" method.  It doesn't really work for me, but I don't give up easily.

In the meantime, until I find a cure for this wacky insomnia, can someone PLEASE send the Sandman my way?

10 comments:

  1. ugh, i think i would be ready to jump off a bridge. i had sleep issues when i was pregnant, too, but they quickly resolved themselves (thank the LORD) after each baby was born.

    i am someone who needs a TON of sleep. in fact, just sitting here thinking about sleep is making me sleepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I can so relate to this. I was just awake in middle of the night AGAIN last night. I finally got out of bed to read, was too tired to even do that, went back to bed and STILL couldn't fall asleep. And when I don't get enough sleep I get very depressed and even think I am going to die! I have taken anti-anxiety meds for years to help me sleep; because sleeping pills do nothing. I would sleep for 4 hours and bing! be wide awake. argh. I think I'm unleashing my insomnia monster onto you! I'm sorry. My Dr. told me 9 hours and I just laughed. I wonder how they sleep?

    Sorry I hijacked your post. I hope you find your cure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard so many people describe this same issue and I guess I am an oddball because I fall asleep and stay asleep. of course I should go to bed earlier and get more sleep but on the weekdays I go to bed at 11:00ish and get up at 6:30. On weekends I get closer to 8 hours. Many times per week I get woken up by my husband -- for example he got up at 5:30 this a.m. as it was raining and he went out to the back deck to check on an issue we've had with a gutter. One night he went to bed really late and decided to clean out a bathroom drawer at 1:30 a.m. He has sleep issues and I may go all medieval on him very very soon.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have sleep issues too. I need at least 7 hours to function at all and 8 if I want anyone else to be able to stand me. I either have trouble falling asleep and end up laying in bed forever hoping to sleep, or trouble with waking up randomly throughout the night. I am also a sleep walker.

    Maybe we could start a support group? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ick. Knock on wood, I don't have TOO much trouble sleeping. Although I really am in awe of people who actually function on little sleep. When I don't have enough, you might as well not even look my way because I'll screw up whatever you ask me to do/be/etc. I know when/if I have bambinos, this will change and I will HAVE to be "on" with little to no sleep. Am not particularly looking forward to that. :) Have put out and APB for Mr. Sandman for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will send him your way. I spend a few hours awake almost every night too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I feel your pain!

    The only remedy I've found so far is to get up and switch beds. . . hence calling it my Goldilocks syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've written posts about my insomnia as well. It is maddening. I certainly hope you find something that helps you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it funny how sleep becomes so much more important - and hard to come by- the older we get?

    Hoping for a good night's sleep for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel your pain! It's 3:29am here and I am reading your blog because I can't sleep! I have to "get up" for work in 90 minutes... yikes.

    ReplyDelete