Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ode to the chicken patty.

If you are thinking a chicken patty is something like a cow patty, you couldn't be more wrong.

When I was in college, my dorm cafeteria served chicken patty sandwiches on Fridays for dinner.  My roommate and I would always "sneak" a couple out of the cafeteria.  I say "sneak" because we were not supposed to take food from the cafeteria.  I seriously doubt, though, any of the cafeteria employees were so into their career that they would have tackled us to the ground to protect a chicken patty sandwich (or two or three...) from being smuggled from the cafeteria and into a dorm room refrigerator.  And we thought we were SO SMART getting away with it.  I am guessing those employees knew all along and didn't give a rat's ass.

Why did we sneak chicken patty sandwiches?  Well, they were one of our favorite "meals" in the cafeteria.  Plus, we could keep them in our little fridge for the weekend when for when we either A) slept through lunch or B) missed lunch because we were just getting in from our walk of shame that inevitably took place on some Saturday mornings.  (I will say, though, we both had boyfriends, so it may not really have qualified as the walk of shame.  At least not our Freshmen year.)

Beyond that, I am not sure what our love affair with those processed, pressed, fried frisbees of "chicken" meat were.  Maybe it's just that the other cafeteria food was so bad.

Fast forward to 2010, and I still love chicken patty sandwiches.  So delicicious with some mayo, swiss cheese, lettuce and pickles.  Add some tator tots and I have the perfect lunch.  My kids like them, too.  Big surprise there.  They like any piece of breaded chicken that has been processed, pressed and fried.  That really should be my first clue that this is A) not grown up food and B) is not good for me.  But I really don't care.  They ARE yummy and I just can't have a chicken patty lunch without smiling and thinking about my fun college dorm days.

9 comments:

  1. Chicken patty sammiches are yummy. So funny that you were such a rebel to sneak them out of the cafeteria. What a bad girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i see nothing wrong with a chicken patty sandwich. being the classy mom that i am, though, i serve mine in a little more sophisticated manner... chicken (patty) parmesan. cook some spaghetti, throw a patty on it, throw a slice of provolone on top of that and then dump spaghetti sauce over the whole thing. i know, i am pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Chik-fil-a!!!! love me some chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew about these until my kids went to school. We have these lots with tater tots. I've switched over to the ones called Tyson chicken fillets (not round shaped). Hubs and I will slice ours and put on salad. Sometimes the boys even want them to be made in the a.m., put in foil, and take to school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. chicken patty sandwiches are THE BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My college roommate and I had a love affair with the tri-taters (triangle shaped tator-tot things). When I think about it now I am not sure why, but we loved them like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Note to self: Do not read this at 8:45AM when you haven't had breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chicken patty is one of the greatest food inventions of all time. Hands down. Period. Amen.

    ReplyDelete