Sunday, February 28, 2010

Movierama

Yesterday, I attended Day 1 of the Best Picture Show - the ten best pictures nominated by the Academy.  Yesterday's movies were Avatar (in 3-D), Up In the Air (my favorite!), Precious, The Blind Side and Inglourious Basterds.  (AMC Theaters all across the country do the Best Picture Show every year for anyone who is interested!)

I went with one other friend who had to leave after the 2nd movie.  It was kind of fun hanging at the movies most of the day into the evening by myself.  I skipped Precious.  I had seen it and didn't want to sit through it again.  I went to dinner and then sat outside the theater waiting for it to end.  I had to smile when people were coming out with some of the same comments me and my friends had when we first saw it:  "That was rough," "That was the most depressing movie I've ever seen," "That was brutal," (that comment came from a group of 20 something guys), "I'm never sitting through that movie again," AND the woman who came out, covering her mouth, SOBBING like a baby.  All I could think was "Yes, I know how you people feel.  That's why I am out here."  I also had seen Up In the Air and The Blind Side, but was happy to sit through them again.  Inglourious Basterds was awesome and I was rather disappointed with Avatar.  I loved the 3-D effects.  I think the last time I saw a 3-D movie was when I was in high school, so needless to say, 3-D has come a long way.  The story though?  Meh.  I would have much rather seen A Single Man or Crazy Heart in the top 10.  They are both much better movies.

We are going back next week - six of us this time, to see the final five movies.  They are Up, The Hurt Locker, An Education, A Serious Man and District 9.  I haven't seen any of them, so I am pretty excited.  It's amazing how exhausting sitting in a theater for 12 hours can be, so next week, we are making an overnight trip of it and going on Sunday for massages and/or pedicures.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great and fun idea. I haven't seen any of the movies and the Oscars are approaching fast.

    I read Precious, and I can't quite figure out how the movie would work on screen--it was so sad and shocking. I'm told that the movie was well-done, though.

    Have a great time with your next round!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to say, you really do things right. next weekend sounds awesome.

    i haven't heard of a couple of the ones on next week's line up. i will need to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds awesome! I was just looking up this event at the AMC theater but am working Saturday day so it wouldn't be worth it. However, we are seeing Inglorious Bastards tomorrow and I think I will se Avatar Saturday night (I've seen a couple of the other ones already).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen all of these except The Hurt Locker, Precious, and A Serious Man. I'm hoping to get A Serious Man and Precious in before our Oscar party on Sunday night, but I think I can let go of The Hurt Locker. Suspense and ticking bombs and war? Not so much my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete