Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What do you want to be when you grow up?

This question comes up a lot.  Especially with my stay-at-home mom friends, since many of us think someday we will go back into the work force.  Even my working mom (and non-mom) friends have this conversation with hopes of changing their careers over the years.

Though I do work part-time using my Licensed Massage Therapy education and skills, I have a bigger goal.  I want to be a doula.  Did you know that?  Some of you do, but I bet most of you don't.  Some of you might not even know what a doula is.  If you want the full low-down on a doula, go here.  The quick low-down is that a doula is a birth assistant, providing various forms of non-medical support - emotional and physical.  We had a doula with our first child and she was a life saver.  Things got a little hectic towards the end and she was able to give me details of what was happening, what to expect, etc. leaving the doctors and nurses free from having to answer my questions and just do their thang.  She was also able to help me through the pain and discomfort of labor.  Once I got my epidural, she was able to help me through the issues that arise with that.

There are labor/birth doulas and post-partum doulas.  Our doula actually did both.  I want to focus on being a labor/birth doula.  I know with my massage therapy and additional alternative treatment education and skills, I can be a big benefit to a mama to be, especially if her goal is to deliver without medication.  And if it's not, I can still provide quite a bit of relief up until that heavenly epidural gets inserted and after that, too.  I can also provide pre-natal massages and therapies to make pregnancy more comfortable.  I know I benefitted from all of the above through my doula and through my massage therapy friends while pregnant and combining the two into ONE is even more of a benefit.

This is a bit of a long term goal.  It's a two year process to get certified.  I need the flexibility to be called out in the middle of the night for all those babies who don't wait until the sun comes up to be born.  I can't have that flexibility until CJ, my youngest, is able to get himself ready and out the door to school on time.  I figure that will be about five years.  So in a couple of years I will start looking more closely at getting certified and then proceed forward.  Yay.  I have a plan!

8 comments:

  1. The minute I saw the word "doula," I said "AWESOME" out loud. This totally fits you. You would be the best doula in the whole wide world, and I'm so excited you're looking into this opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sassy Britches, awesome! I keep thinking it would be cool to go that route or maybe get into midwifery even. I guess We will see where I end up but in the mean time I am really excited that you know where you are headed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I could have used one of those when I delivered! And to have a plan is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have already told you this, but i think this is a perfect plan for you. are there schools near you that offer certification?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! I did not know there post partum doulas--I want to know more about that aspect. Time to google.

    Good for you for planning and acting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To have a plan. Awesome. And something to get really excited about. Can't wait to read your blog posts as you go through training and start helping mamas deliver their babies! WIll you be blogging in 5 years?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous goal. I wish I'd known about and had a doula when I had my daughter. I have a friend who used a doula and it was a magical experience and relationship. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete