Thursday, January 7, 2010

These boots are made for walking.


It's finally snowing here in grey, cold Cincy, OH.  It's about damn time.  This IS what I love about winter.  I bitch and moan a lot about the cold, but in reality, as I have said before, I don't mind the cold days and grey skies as long as snow is falling.

I was lying awake last night.  I couldn't sleep since for two days, in between toilet runs and labor contractions excruciating stomach pain, I slept as much as possible.  Now that it was the middle of the night and I was mostly out of pain and I SHOULD have been sleeping, I couldn't.  Anyway, I was laying there thinking about my new boots.  I bought a pair of ugly ass boots because I was tired of walking to the mailbox or out to get the paper or to the neighbors in my cute shoes and getting them all wet and my feet even colder than they normally are.  I tried to find a cute pair of snow boots, but I couldn't.  Well, actually, I did find a pair cuter than the ones I bought, but they didn't have my size.  Or I could have taken my 11 yr. old niece's lead and bought a $180 pair of Uggs, but 1) I am not sure if they are good in snow and 2) even if they are, I wouldn't want to ruin them by being out in the snow in them.  Since I don't really plan to wear these babies in public on a regular basis, I guess I was able to compromise on fashion and go totally for function.  It's a good thing, too, because this winter we are hoping to take our kids to the nearby ski slopes and go tubing.  Not skiing, tubing.  They have some pretty fun tubing runs, from what I hear.

So as I was laying there at 3AM thinking about my boots for this year (and most likely the remainder of my long life), I started thinking "What did I wear on my feet in college?"  I went to an urban college.  The University of Cincy, right in the middle of city stuff.  It was known as the "concrete campus", though much improvement has been made in that area since I graduated.  I loved it there.  Anyway, I think in my four years of being educated, they only closed campus once or twice.  I really only remember once, but I am guessing there might have been another time I am not remembering since some of my college years are a little blurry.  So what DID I wear on my feet when we had lots of snow and I had to trek my way through the city streets to get to my classes?  I don't remember any kind of boots being trendy/fashionable in the mid-late 80's, but I do know this.  I would not have been caught dead in the boots I will be sporting this winter.  So, someone help me.  Do you remember what you wore on your snow covered feet in the mid-late 80's?  Maybe that will remind me of whether or not I owned a pair of boots or if I just strutted around with frozen, snow covered shoes and socks, which then became wet and soggy shoes in socks in the classroom.

10 comments:

  1. no help here. i was in waco, texas at the time. BUT, i can tell you what i WOULD have been wearing... doc martens. they would have matched my alternative alter-ego i was sporting at the time. knowing some of the music you like, you actually may have been wearing them! think, jo, think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the mid to late-80s I was wearing whatever shoes my mother graced my feet with but I know what you want. At 23, I feel so old when I look at a girl going out clubbing wearing great shoes and turn around and say 'how does she even walk in them' lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure you didn't wear boots --- because I would have remembered --- at least not snow boots. I am sure you had a pair of black boots with a little heel that came up to your calf. Or the shoes that looked like boots...but didn't go past your ankles. Do you remember the boots with the flat heel and were kind of scrunched down? We wore those with leggings or stirrups (although I always had problems with stirrup pants - they were never long enough so the crotch would end up lower than I would like). I'm positive we wore "80s fashionable" boots....but they didn't help with the cold and snow. I can remember coming back to the dorm/apartment with cold, wet feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And, I do not recall if you had Doc Martens...wouldn't be surprised if you did...definitely remember Steven wearing them. But....Deb has a pretty accurate picture of you from college.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wore flip flops in the dead of winter... brr it was cold.. it got down to about 60 degrees again brrr.. from Southern California.. ya know I had to say it... We went up to the mountains and I bought some cheap boots from payless I think and after about 10 minutes of walking in the snow - I thought my toes were going to come off..
    Take care! and keep warm
    Love,
    Kelly
    http://www.ivebecomemymother.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I just wore sneakers and tried to stay dry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower from MBC!

    In the 80's we wore rubber boots with fuzzy liners. Definitely not warm enough for Canadian winters! But wearing 3 pairs of socks helped LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can assure you I owned NO boots I was not outfitted for any freak Oklahoma storm lol as a matter of fact at 39 yrs old i still was NOT outfitted for any Oklahoma freak storm....and it hit and the pipes froze and so I sat with a blow dryer praying....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, now I'm freaking out. I currently own a lovely pair of army green muck boots from Rural King. I was in college in the late 90's, and I cannot for the life of me recall what I wore. And it was in the Champaign campus of University of Illinois--where the wind comes sweepin' through the plain and the drifts are outrageous. Probably Birkenstocks with tube socks. I was such a weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The one and only time I requested boots for Christmas, my misguided mom bought me a pair of......are you ready?.......white boots with fringe on the fronts. (Like majorettes used to wear while waving the flag) So in my teen years, I wore the required penny strollers and socks folded down over the tops. Hey, I was COOL in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete