Tuesday, January 12, 2010

That's entertainment.

This past weekend, I read and read.  I started and finished two books.  I read each of them in less than 24 hours.

Still Alice by Lisa Genova
This was such an interesting book about a 50 yr. old Harvard professor who gets early onset Alzheimer's disease.  It is a fictional story, but the book is written by a Harvard professor whose specialty is neuroscience.  The book does not tell the story in a third person setting - it's not told by Alice's doctors or caregivers point of view.  It's told from Alice's point of view of what it's like to slowly lose your memory.  It's a must read.

After You by Julie Buxbaum
This story is about a woman whose best friend, Lucy, is murdered.  Ellie leaves her husband to go to London for the funeral and stays on to help with Lucy's daughter, Sophie.  Obviously, the story is not as simple as that so I will leave it there.  A great read for anyone who has a really cool best friend!  (Hi, LQ!)

My book club was supposed to read a book this month titled Independent People.  It is translated from Icelandic into English, though, and many were having trouble with the translation and gave up.  I didn't even start it, so we decided those who wanted to finish it should and they can tell the rest of us about it.  The rest of us decided to read and/or go see Precious (based on the book titled Push by Sapphire).  Since my movie going friends and I were down to the wire, we went to see the movie on Sunday.  It is everything you have heard it is.  I am sure it will be part of the Academy's 10 Best Pictures.  Since the movie gang and I are going to the Academy's Best Pictures marathon again this year, we are hoping this movie is shown during lunch or dinner because we don't think we can stomach sitting through it again.  It is hard to watch a person be treated the way Precious is treated.  Though the book is fiction, you know there are situations like hers in real life.

I can't get too far ahead in my book club reading or I forget the details when the time comes to discuss the book, so I am about to start House of Testosterone - One Moms Survival in a Household of Males.  I've only read the introduction so far, and I've already chuckled.  The author has a husband, three boys and a male dog.  Not at all unlike my house, except that we have a cat.

5 comments:

  1. I want to see Precious, I am sure it was very hard to watch in some parts.

    I love to read, House of Testosterone looks like it would be a fun read.

    Sound like I would want to read After You as well. Will put that on my Library list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oh - I'll be picking up House of Testosterone for sure!!

    Only sorry I didn't write it first ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read some of those, especially Still Alice. I also remember flipping through the first few pages of House of Testosterone when it came into the bookstore and jotted it down to read sometime. There is something about being outnumbered in our own homes, isn't there?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post - Still Alice sounds like an amazing book - thanks for the tip.
    Love to you.
    kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha that last one looks like a must read for sure! still alice sounds like something i would LOVE but be terrified while reading. early alzheimer's is my all time biggest fear!

    ReplyDelete