Sunday, January 3, 2010

My filter works better each year!



I am reading and hearing a lot about New Year's Resolutions. Some are inspiring and will make the world a better place, others are challenging and make me tired just thinking about them, some are realistic and ones even I could accomplish.

I keep telling people my resolution is to not make a resolution, just like every year. But today I remembered, that for the last few years I HAVE had a resolution. I have been somewhat successful, but I still need improvement in the area, so I continue each year with it. What is the resolution? To try to keep my opinions to myself unless asked.

For those who don't personally know me, I can be very outspoken, often at inappropriate and unappreciated times. For years, I did not have a filter on my mouth. My brain works too fast and thoughts and words are out of my mouth before I can stop them. Then I sit there saying to myself, "Shit! Did I just say that?"

Well, over the last few years, I have improved significantly. I still blurt things out when I wish I didn't. I still give people my two cents when they don't ask, but I am SO.MUCH.BETTER. Sometimes my filter works 100% and other times it kicks in in the middle of what I'm saying and I cut myself short.

You should know, though, sometimes even when my filter is working 100%, I go ahead and say what I want. I may start with "I'm sorry, I know you didn't ask my opinion, but here it is...." (or I may not start with this) and then I will try to give you a toned down version of what I really want to say. If it's something I am passionate about or feel VERY strongly about, you will get me full on, bad words and all.

IF you do ask for my opinion, you should be prepared to hear it. No mincing words, no holding back, no tippy toeing around the subject. You asked, you'll get it. And I most likely won't apologize for it. I might apologize if I hurt your feelings, but I won't apologize for my opinion.

Oh, in case you hadn't already figured it out, this blog is TOTALLY exempt from my New Year's Resolution.

2 comments:

  1. Speaking your opinion bluntly ? ....you have just passed the New York Taxi Driver test....I'll mail your license to you. ;-)
    HAPPY NEW YEAR !! ..and keep telling it like it IS !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Filtering takes so much practice when you are an outspoken person. That is a good resolution. I'm not very good about filtering sometimes.

    ReplyDelete