Saturday, October 3, 2009

Trauma 101: Three stitches, a steristrip and a tetanus shot


Cute, isnt' he?  It's a damn good thing, because in a roundabout way, he's responsible for this:

and this:

Three stitches, a steristrip and a tetanus shot.

I recently started feeding Ace canned food.  I use the canned food with the pull tab lids.  The Ronald McDonald house collects the tabs from those pull lids to raise money for their charity, so I save the tabs.  I was pulling the tab off, clearly holding the can lid in a not so safe way when I sliced into my thumb and later discovered I also sliced my finger.  I had my thumb all bandaged up and could not figure out where the continued blood was coming from.  It was my finger.  My thumb was gushing, giving no indication it was going to stop, so I went to my neighbor, who is a doctor.  He looked at it and pretty much said, "Get in the car, I'll drive you to ER."  So, three stitches in the thumb, a steristrip on the finger and a tetanus shot later, I came home, only to get ready to go chaperone a 7th/8th grade dance, which I will write about later.  The good news?  VICODIN.  And 7-10 days off work.  It's hard to give massages with a thumb you can't use or get wet.

7 comments:

  1. YES he is adorable!
    LOL@vicoden and 7-10 days off work
    lastly OUCHY!

    we sent out the first round of q&a's if you did not receive an email from us please click the link below and follow the instructions
    Thanks and we are so excited you are joing the SSS
    http://georgienba.blogspot.com/2009/10/secret-santa-soiree-official-411.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes! if you start feeling better, be sure to throw a little extra vicodin my way! can't wait to hear about the dance!

    and yes, he is adorable. darn cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone. Fifteen years ago I got the only stitches I've ever had from holding the can of cat food and slicing my left index finger as i popped off the top of the pull-lid. Had to go to ER and also get a tetanus.
    No cats any more but I do wish I had one. An outdoor one cuz if any claw scratched the indoor furniture there'd be a divorce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never a dull moment at your place, is there? Glad you're okay, but bummer about not being able to work!

    P.S. Happy belated b-day to CJ. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember a similar incident over 10 years ago with a bread knife.

    I recall the tetanus shot hurt worse than the cut. And no Vicodin.

    Lucky duck.

    Hope you're a fast healer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch, Hope you Thumb heals fast. Such a cute little fluff ball.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer! Glad it was nothing serious. You got Vicodin for that? Nice...

    ReplyDelete