Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Pop Culture Extravaganza

There are a couple of things going on in pop culture that I just have to talk about.  I don't get magazines or watch the "magazine" tv shows, but I do live and breathe the Today Show and I try to occasionally catch the news.  I also have all of you keeping me up to speed.  I will sometimes hear or read something and will then Google it to get more information.  Here are two things that I need to comment on:

David Letterman
Obviously, he has had sex with his co-workers.  He admitted it.  I don't really like to get into the messiness of other people's sex lives, affairs, infidelity and I'm not really going to now.  What bugs the hell out of me is the idiot who tried to blackmail him (of course, I am assuming he is guilty of this and will have to rewrite something later if it turns out he is not).  He/his attorney keeps saying things like "He has proof that Letterman was sexually harassing his employees."  "He has proof of blah, blah, blah."  All of that is well and good.  But there is where I think the guy is an asshat - it's not your job to call him out on those things.  You can't take him to court for sexual harassment unless it was you he harassed.  Letterman potentially being guilty of sexual harassment is NOT an excuse for you to blackmail and certainly not an excuse to consider yourself not guilty of blackmail.  If Letterman is guilty of sexual harassment and you have proof, it's great that the women involved have an advocate should THEY want to pursue charges.  However, if what you say is true and your whole defense of your actions is that you have proof, why didn't you go to the police with it instead of accepting a 2 million dollar check? Oh, and now it appears the reporter/blackmailer found some undelivered love letters from his girlfriend and ex-intern for Letterman and the reporter decided to hand deliver one to Letterman. I am choosing to interpret this reporter nut job as a L-O-S-E-R. (If it turns out I am wrong, I will recant.)

Jon and Kate
I have never really followed the show, but about a year or so ago, my oldest watched it faithfully and I would catch bits and pieces.  They were a cute family, though Kate was a little pushy.  As a mom of three (me), though, I can totally understand her need to be in control when you have a family of ten.  Imagine what it would be like if it were otherwise.  As for Jon.  He is an ass.  Funny how for the last however many years the show has been on television, he had no problem with it or thought the show was a detriment to his kids.  BUT, within days of his name being removed from the title, all of a sudden he's concerned for their well being.  Yeah, we're really too stupid to not see the coincidence there, asshat.  Julia, at Sometimes Lucid, posted a video of Jon on Nancy Grace's show. Man, she let him have it. In the past, Kate always kept him in line and spoke for him. Now apparently, he has turned that responsibility over to his lawyer because he can't put a sentence together. He tried to explain that he was putting a stop to the show for his kids, but he would not answer why he did that NOW and not long ago, or at least earlier on when he and Kate started having marital issues and there might have been a chance to work it out.  I am choosing to interpret this nut job behavior of late as L-O-S-E-R. (If it turns out I am wrong, I will recant.)

And now, I apologize for blogging about something so really unimportant, but I just had to get it off my chest.  There you have it.  Later I will be back to more important topics, like my youngest son mooning kids on the bus or my latest shopping spree.

10 comments:

  1. I don't have cable, but I get enough tidbits from other bloggers and news websites to learn enough about these crazy people. I saw the same video clip you referenced and, yes, he's a juvenile narcissist. I loved the final dig--"Why is it always about YOU?" I think both parties could have/should be making better choices, but, puh-leez, that guy has dug himself a grave so deep he's not going to recover. (It's so obvious that he's putting a stop to the show for revenge...if I don't get a paycheck, then she doesn't get a paycheck, yada yada blah.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kim - You crack me up. Just letting it fly for the asshats out there. Awesome. I could not agree with you more on the Letterman thing. Whateves with this blackmailer....I know some people think Letterman is an ass but I've always liked the guy enough and well, we'll see what happens. But the fact that he's had sex with women he works with? Welcome to the ever-growing club of power men who have sex with their employees....and cheat on their wives. Geez.

    And Kate and Jon.....crazy and how much press can these two people get??? It's insane. I agree with you that Jon has had his revelation on what's best for the kids way too late. In my opinion, being off the show IS best for the kids and this couple should have seen that years ago. But oh how money changes things. They are trapped by their dependence on their lifestyle and I would never want to be in that position.

    I like your pop-culture take on things.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lately the blogging world is where I catch up on all of the entertainment news too.

    No apologies needed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are hysterical. yes, we can reconsider our opinions, if the 'facts' out there turn out not to be facts, but i think we are safe in our twin opinions of these two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it me, or are we seeing less and less "honorable" men and more and more "ass-hats" who make excuses for their behavior? I agree - "asshat" until proven otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I need a post just like this to lighten my mood!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I don't like about the whole Letterman thing is how he went on the air and brought it up and made jokes about it. Icky. I can't look him in the eye, anymore. How disrespectful to his baby mama (and former staffer) who was the one who was able to "trap" the icky sex machine by "forgetting" her birth control. It all leaves a bad taste in my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you blogged about something unimportanat- I'm not in the mood to think. thank you. I agree. Jon is an asshat. But Kate is amoney hungry bitch, too, so maybe they deserve each other, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just like that you go around calling people asshats. It doesn't have to be fully researched and proven truth. That's enough to make a post good for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All painfully true. I don't think this was an unimportant post; it's what blogging is all about; our feelings about whatever. Right? I think so anyway...

    Well, I keep writing and deleting cuz I can't figure out how to shorten things...gah.

    Jon and Kate; sigh. I sure miss the good ole days.

    ReplyDelete