Monday, October 19, 2009

Library time!

Today I volunteer at the library at CJ's school, which is a building for Pre-School through 1st grade. I've only done this once before and it's a fairly easy job. Except for one thing. I don't always like children. It's true. I LOVE my kids and I usually like them, too (though there are days where even that is questionable, depending on their behavior). However, other people's kids? Not so much. I think they're cute, I like it when they say funny things, but I don't necessarily want to be INVOLVED with them. So I thought volunteering at the library would be my best bet at volunteering without having to be too hands on with them - no crafts, no helping with class work, no feeding a snack, no playing games. How much interaction can there be with checking in books, shelving books and then checking out books for them as they smile at me and say something cute and then go on their way? WRONG. The librarian expects me to help them find books, to read to them, to walk around and make sure they aren't destroying the place. WHAT? I didn't sign up for that. I just wanted to provide a service, watch the kids from a distance with a smile on my face as they say and do funny things and then go home.

Last time I was there, a little girl kept bugging me to help her find a book about beaches. Cute little girl, this one was. At least the first two times she asked me to help her I thought she was cute. As I helped her, a line of ducklings kids is forming behind me and following me everywhere I go with her. I wanted to quack and waddle, but I didn't think the kiddos would get it. And they are not patient little kids. I show her again where the books about beaches could possibly be. Then I'm off to help the others. Within moments she's back, telling me there was no book, but "I know we have one because I have checked it out before!" Of course, she doesn't remember the name. After about five times, I finally tell her, "I can't help you anymore. I need to help these other cute kids. I showed you where the book would be and if it's not there we don't have it." She says, "But I know we have it..." About that time, I catch the librarian, tell her what Beach Girl is looking for and the librarian shows her the same locations as I did. Poor girl.

You would think that put an end to her needing me. Nope. Next thing I know, I feel a tug on my sleeve.  It looked something like this:

"Can you help me find a book about princesses?" Off I go to show her the fairy tale section, wishing at that point I was in a fairy tale of my own. I show her the shelf and she says, "Oh, I wanted a Disney princess book." Thankfully, the librarian was right there and said, "We don't have any Disney princesses." I finally found a more traditional story of Cinderella for her and she seemed fairly happy. I, on the other hand, was exhausted. And that day, only the kindergarteners visited the library. Today it will be kindergarten and first grade. TOGETHER.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like...uh...fun! Ha, ha! Hope today goes better than the last time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha maybe next time you need to volunteer for any take home paper work like I do. That way you won't have to deal with any other kids but your own. LOL I am the same way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe kids are like cats? They always are drawn to the people that don't like them so much? I can deal with kids, but try to hand me a baby and I will back across the room and out the door. Other moms think I'm a freak, but, no I don't want to hold that squishy little baby that I might drop by accident...I'm not kidding, I'm a clutz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, i am finding that i really can only tolerate small children in very small doses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started volunteering at my son's library, also. Second graders, though, so they aren't as needy as yours sound ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading this was a reminder of what every work day is like for me! Today at work, I had a woman follow me all over the kid's section after asking me if we had books about fire trucks for an 8 year old. I told her most of my books about fire trucks are geared for younger children, and after a few suggestions, determined I couldn't help her. That didn't stop her from following me around, though. I started to feel paranoid, then I stress out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha I'm telling you, working with kids makes me feel at least 15 years older. They just really know how to suck the life out of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ugh, other people's kids are DISGUSTING!
    their grubby little hands tugging at you and their snotty little faces looking up at you for answers?

    ACK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. bahahahaha...we are soul sisters on this one. I volunteer at the elementary library and as long as I avoid direct eye contact...(something I excel at in most areas of my life. that's just me; not you.) Last week one of the kids smelled as if they had actually crapped in their pants. Not just passed gas...gah. How do teachers do it?

    ReplyDelete