Tuesday, October 13, 2009

It's decided.

After much hand wringing, talking, reading, thinking, ignoring, stressing and anxiety (pretty much all on my part, my husband tends to think very logically and scientifically which allows him to not experience all the shit I do!), we have decided to get the H1N1 flu shots for our kids. I know for some, this is a no-brainer. But I am not one who gives vaccines just because I am told to. CJ still is missing a vaccine and we had to have the doctor write a letter so he could enter kindergarten. I have one child who ended up in the hospital for three days after the MMR with some serious health issues. We don't do seasonal flu shots (with the exception of once when CJ was very young and he had chronic breathing issues from newborn until about aged 2. He was on breathing treatments that entire time and we did decide to give him a flu shot that one year. We haven't since then.).

We have been lucky and to the best of my knowledge, have been flu free. I had the flu in 1997. I don't think anyone else in our house has had it since. If they did, it was so mild it just seemed like any other unknown virus. I am not ignorant enough to believe we will never get the flu. I know we, or at least one of us, will get it at some point in time. That has not been a reason for us to vaccinate. I do believe that we have some natural immunities to the seasonal flu since we are constantly exposed to it in school, work and in the general public.

That last sentence is why we have decided to vaccinate for H1N1. My kids have no exposure to this virus and have not had a chance to build up their own immune systems. They all three have a history of respiratory issues and that seems to be the bodily system that is attacked the most with this flu if it goes into complications.

I am seriously at peace with this decision. I was so relieved once we made the decision. The kids will be getting their shots in the schools - they are setting up clinics in the gyms and cafeterias and vaccinating those whose parents have submitted a signed consent form. I am unsure if MG and I will be getting the shots. I think we are old enough that we fall into that group that has some exposure from the 70's. However, I will be looking into a little more closely.

What do you plan to do? How did you make your decision, whatever that decision is? (I am not looking to have a heated debate here. Please do not attack me or anyone else for the decisions, whatever they are, we make!)

11 comments:

  1. You have to do what is best for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A decision made with lots of research and one's own family histories is the best a parent can do!
    I recently learned about the immunity that those of us who were around in the late 70's/early 80's received by the strains going around then.
    I have never rec'd a flu shot nor have my kids, and fortunately have not had any vaccine probs or health issues to watch. My Hubs used get a seasonal flu shot annually until he got sickest the last two times he got it, a few years back. He teaches elem school and we have all been ok so far with the routine of hand-washing, sleep, good food, outdoor exercise, etc. It is actually strep throat that did its rounds to everyone here a few years ago (but not me). Although my kids have been vaxed with no probs(with my 3rd I chose to spread them way apart but all 3 have all gotten the Kindergarten and middle school requirements per the state), I tend to lean on the minimal shots side. So at this time, no plans for any kind of flu shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, since Oldest had the swine flu last week (3 days of fever and a little cough - this with serious upper respiratory issues all of his life thanks to a bought with RSV at 3 months), and Youngest was pretty much licking him the entire time, I think the decision was made for me - natural immunity this time around.

    For the record, I was leaning towards not giving the shots, only because of our indidual health issues - Oldest has an egg allergy = no flu shot. We do the seasonal flu mist, but I haven't heard very good things about the H1N1 mist.

    You're awesome for studying and deciding what's best for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a difficult decision, but I'm with you on this one. I think we are going to pass on the H1N1 for now. It's so hard to know what to do. I was hospitalized not long after my son was born with C. Diff - it's like the intestinal version of MRSA, it comes from over-exposure to anitbiotics. So I'm wary about that type of thing now. But I still worry about making the right decision for our kids. Ugh.

    I like your blog. Found you on Mom Bloggers Follow Me Group. I'm now following and looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. I have not even thought about it. What's my problem? I am generally way behind with this kind of stuff and rarely get the kids flu shots. If I happen to be at the pediatrician and she suggests it, I'll say okay but I have done NO research on the H1N1 shot. I guess I should....

    And by the way:

    1) I love this new blog look of yours. It's my favorite of yours so far.
    2) I still have not added you to our affiliates but I will now that I am reminded by that cool button over there. :-) And I love what you wrote about your blog. It's perfect.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, this immunity thing may be the one reason I'm glad I just turned 50!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not doing the vaccine. I personally am not comfortable with what I have heard about the vaccine. Now don't get me wrong I am not against vaccines. You do what you feel is right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Initially I decided not to give Sophia the H1N1 vaccine. We normally don't get the seasonal flu shot either. I've never had the flu. (Hope to keep it that way)

    But after doing some research, and being terrified by the media, I have decided to discuss it again with my pediatrician. I think I am going to give it to her. I probably wont get it though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone has to do what they think is the right thing for them. I'm here getting caught up on blog reading, finally! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I respect your decision completely. I'm still too afraid of the vaccine and not convinced of it's effectiveness. As a teacher, I am exposed to everything. I've been in a few classes with kids who were diagnosed with H1N1. My sister, with whom I live, also had it a couple weeks ago (mask and all!).

    On one hand, I'm afraid to get H1N1 because I have asthma. On the other hand, I'm afraid of Guillain-Barre syndrome.

    For now, I'm going the homeopathic/hippie prevention route of Epsom salt baths, dry brushing, vitamins and minerals, and a vegan diet...For now, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kendall had the H1N1 virus last week. So far, none of the rest of us have caught it. She was miserable for a couple of days but was out of school all week because of a minor fever on and off most of the days. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I do not plan to get the vaccination, but I completely understand your decision; it makes sense for you and your family. Glad you found peace :)

    ReplyDelete