Monday, October 5, 2009

I was mistaken for a 7th grader. Or was that an 8th grader?

On Friday night, after my trip to the ER for stitches in my thumb (see Saturday's post), I chaperoned a 7th/8th grade dance. My have things changed. My have things stayed the same.

First, to get to my post title. I was a "floater" meaning that I was roaming and on the lookout for any shennanigans, checking the girls restroom, making sure no one was doing anything ... WRONG. (Just typing that makes me laugh because I am not sure, based on my past behaviors as an adolescent, teen, young adult, hell, even adulthood, that I am qualified for that job.) I was standing on the stage so I could see into the dance crowd. There were hundreds of kids on the dance floor (and a few more hundred roaming around at the other stations set up to keep the kids entertained). People, I would rather be body surfing in the mosh pit of a Nirvana concert than to be in the middle of that crowd. Anyway, I was standing on the stage...and the DJ comes over and says "You can't be standing up here. You need to be down on the floor." I stood and looked at him with a very puzzled look on my face. This was EXACTLY where I was told one of my posts should be. He then realized I was wearing a name tag and said "Oh geeze, you're a parent. I'm sorry, I thought you were a student." I was oddly flattered to be mistaken for a 12-14 yr. old girl.

The biggest difference I noticed is that boys dance now a days. There were tons of boys, my son included, on the dance floor boogying down. Now we don't listen to Miley Cyrus or any other teeny bopper music in our house, but my son still knows the songs and still knows the official dances that go along with them. (And now that I type that, I think I need to ask him how? HOW do you know? When did I ever teach you to listen to this music and dance those dances? What happened to The Killers? Cold Play? The Cure? You're killing me, kid!) Anyway, guys and girls were dancing all over the place. That place STUNK. Hundreds of sweaty kids that no amount of deodorant solids, sprays or shower gels could overcome. There was really no slow dancing though. Only one slow song was played and that pretty much cleared the floor.

One thing that hasn't changed? Girls cry at dances. For reasons known and unknown - "she looked at me wrong" and/or "she didn't stand next to me for X line dance" and/or "she said she likes Suzie better" and/or "I saw Connor kissing Emily". Who really knows? And who really cares? I stayed away from those girls.

Kids like to stay away from their parents. That hasn't changed. Big E did come to talk to me a couple of times, but for the most part, when we saw each other we did the "chin nod". Ya know, when you walk by someone and kind of flip your chin up in the air to acknowledge each other and hope no one else saw it.

A big surprise was that Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" was one of the most popular songs - with all the kids and all the parents knowing all the words. I was very perplexed by this and later learned this is one of the songs on Guitar Hero, hence, the knowledge. I wanted to track my son down and scream "I saw this band in concert in 1986!" Another thing I learned? Michael Jackson's "Beat It" is still a great song for all to dance to - young and old. And when the DJ played a 21st century club version of the 1980's Dead or Alive song "You Spin Me Round" it was hard for me not to get out on the dance floor and show these kids how it's done. But that wouldn't have been very chaperone-like of me. I managed to contain myself.

17 comments:

  1. Your post makes me nostalgic for Bobby Darrin (the only man who knew all the words to Mack the Knife), Paul Anka, who alsways made the prettiest girl in the 9th grade swoon, and Steve Lawrence. I always used to dance to them -- especially Go Away Little Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much fun it must have been to see what goes on at a middle school dance these days! And too cool that you were mistaken for a student!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Dead ore Alive, I remember that video on U68 back in the day LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really think that you doing the flag routine would have been the culminating moment of the whole dance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I'm liking the new template a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You Spin Me Right Around. . . never good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! dances sure are different now eh..
    I was a parent at my daughter's grade 10 last year and we had breathalizers.. like wth! I was glad but thought how chapped I would be if I was in grade 12.. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just catching up on your posts....loved the video flashback of Dead or Alive. The hair! Also, your school dance post brought back memories of a certain Jr. High dance when we all sang Journey's "Lights", but made up our own words...something to do with a couple in the storage room. Hi-lar-i-ous!
    Love that little Ace, but sorry about the nasty injury! Hope you're doing much better. Finally, Happy Bday CJ!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's also a version of "Don't Stop Believing" by the cast of Glee floating around on the radio.

    Blasphemy. Blasphemy, I tell ya.

    I'm thrilled to hear boys are dancing again! They finally figured out that's how you get the chicks. Smart.

    And the restraint shown in not dancing to Spin Me Round - I'm in awe!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You Spin Me Right Round - I love that soung. Sadly the new version follows up that verse with the sentence "when you go down". Ummm, not as innocent as the first version.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The new version is way nastier as the previous people stated. I sound like my mom now when I say the original version was way better. I used to make fun of her and now I say the same thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember chaperoning middle school dances for abby-she loved it...or so I told myself, reese said he wouldnt go if I chap'd and well jess missed her first dance...

    I am thinking i am jealous you were mistaken for a teen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a crack up at the "chin nod" that is something I could so see me doing with my son.

    I so remember dancing to "Tainted Love" at my Middle School dance.

    I bet the "Don't Stop Believing" is also well known from them because of the show Glee. I just downloaded the Glee version onto my Ipod. I am a geek like that. Love GLEE

    I could only imagine the STENCH in that dance :) Ewww a bunch of sweaty boys dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe the DJ was hitting on you......

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAHAHAHA. You had me at "I was a floater."

    P.S. Just saw Journey last week -- the real thang! AWESOME! Talk about your dancing -- in the seats, in the aisles, in the beer line! Did I mention it was awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post!

    A couple of nights ago I downloaded More Than a Feeling from Itunes. My kids thought it was one great song...and they are right! And I believe this somehow relates to your post! Good for you for chaperoning-not many parents will. At least around my locale.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with everything you observed; I see the same things at our dances. I wouldn't get near the center of the dancing mob, either; it looks dangerous!

    ReplyDelete