Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Make a difference while shopping

I like to shop.  Most of the time.  Some days the thought of shopping drains me and other times I get so damn frustrated because nothing fits and I swear I will never step foot into another store as long as I live.  But most of the time, I get giddy with the purchase of something new - usually for me, but sometimes for others.  (I'm not a totally selfish bitch.)  What I really love is when I can shop and my shopping helps raise money or provide a service for someone else!

Today I did some shopping on the St. Jude's website.  In 2006, my family experienced the loss of ten year old friend to brain cancer and I love knowing that my purchase supports St. Jude's and their mission to treat and find a cure for childhood cancers.  Every year, I purchase Christmas tree ornaments.  I purchase them for our home tree and I purchase them for gifts - especially teachers and bus drivers (assuming they celebrate Christmas, which in my case, they all have).  Every year the teachers thank me for this awesome gift and comment that they love that it helps St. Jude's.  You can go to the link above to shop, but I am going to include some pictures of the ornaments I bought.

  These ornaments count the 12 days of Christmas.  We will not be counting the traditional 12 days of Christmas from Christmas Day to Epiphany, but we will hang one ornament for 12 consecutive days to countdown to Christmas Day.




These are some of the other ornaments I purchased for my kids and their teachers.

Another great project going on is with a friend of mine and her daughter.  My friend's daughter, Maya, is in 2nd grade.  Her class is sponsoring a 7-year-old girl in an orphanage in India. Her name is Santhi (pronounced “saun tee”) and Maya’s classmates each donate whatever amount they can each month to help pay for her food, clothing, schooling, etc. They have a picture of Santhi in their classroom and treat her like a classmate – they read to her, write and send her letters, include her in class meetings – it’s really sweet. To me, this is way more important of a lesson for these 7-year-old kids than any math, spelling or reading. Maya has been setting aside part of her allowance to donate, but then said she wanted to make and sell bracelets to raise even more money for her. So Nikki and Maya are making bracelets together and 100% of the profits will go to Santhi!  You can visit Maya's Etsy site HERE.

Now go on, click on these sites and make a purchase.  You have the luxury of shopping from home, getting some cool stuff, crossing a few names off of your Christmas list and most importantly, you are helping out others in a way you will never really know.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea!

    I never thought of shopping through St. Judes before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that giving and generosity seem to come so naturally to young children. I'm going to head over to their Etsy store and check things out, thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the 12 days of Christmas bulbs.. they are beautiful. I love your generous and loving heart.
    Love,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post. I love the Christmas ornaments; and making shopping less me me me. :)

    ReplyDelete