Thursday, September 17, 2009

It's over, but the memories live on...

I really can't summarize the entire trip.  I can say this:  11 days in Hawaii (3 in Honolulu and 8 in Ka'anapali Beach, Maui) are heavenly, especially when you are with your best friend who lives over 7,500 miles away (in Guam).  Fifteen hours traveling to get there is not so heavenly, but worth it.  The trip home was much quicker. 

Flying with the assistance of drugs to help with anxiety is awesome! I found it necessary to take a pill even when it wasn't "time." As we were flying over the Pacific Ocean (I think we were over the ocean, but the two people next to me were apparently so terrified they didn't know how or didn't want to look out the window to see if we were over the ocean and I was in the aisle seat and couldn't see. I was about to shove them both out of the way and look for myself instead of repeatedly asking "are we over the water?" and being told "I don't know", but instead, took a pill), the pilot screams into the microphone: "We need all passengers to sit down IMMEDIATELY. We need all flight attendants in their seats." Shortly after that, during all the bumping and bouncing and me trying to hold on to my drink and not die of a heart attack, the pilot says, "We need everyone to make sure your seat belts are secured and tightly fastened." At that point, I think I was swallowing a pill. I did not like this turbulence at all and I was really hoping it was JUST turbulence. Anyway, about 10-15 minutes later, the pilot came on and explained headwinds, temperatures, etc. and it was a fairly smooth ride the remaining five hours. I even managed to sleep some once it was dark outside.

I will be doing a few things to share this trip with you.  Today, I will be posting a Top 10 list, with pictures.  To see the picture a little larger, just click on it.  Tomorrow, hopefully if I can figure out how to upload a video from my camera which is acting wonky (yes, that's a word), I will be posting a video of the two of us talking about our favorite outing.  Third, for a while, I will post a picture or two into my daily postings, even if the picture has nothing to do with the post.

Enjoy and let me know when you've heard enough about this AWESOME trip!

Here is the Top 10 list outlining the highlights of our trip (these are my top 10, Lora's may be different).

1.  Snorkeling.  You will understand this better when you see the video.
This was an eco-adventure with The Pacific Whale Foundation.  It is not whale season, so instead we went snorkeling with green sea turtles along with all the little fishes.

I can't believe I am posting THIS picture of me, but here it is.  Me swimming in the Pacific Ocean, about 2.5 miles off shore.


This one is a little hard to see, but that is a turtle on the surface of the water.




2.  Taking a nap in the shade by the pool after the above trip.  We were up at 4:50AM to go on the snorkeling trip.



3.  The summit of Haleakala (a dormant volcano, but expected to erupt again someday) at 10,023 feet above sea level.  Haleakala means "House of the Sun".

This is at the summit facing the land on Maui.  If you look closely, you can see the moon in the top of the picture where the sky gets darker.

Summit of Haleakala

Crater rim of volcano.

From summit of Haleakala you can see the summit of the Big Island of Hawaii.  It was 90 miles from summit to summit.


4.  Biking down Haleakala.  This was a 26 mile bike ride with only two hills that we needed to pedal to the top of (yes, I am ending in a preposition).  We could not pedal up one of the hills because we laughed too hard and used up all of our energy.  The second hill, my chain fell off.  Thanks to my biking days as a kid, I was able to fix it myself.  I could have put pictures of cows.  The cows roam freely on the mountain and there are road signs with "cow crossing" pictures.




Oprah's house.  This is zoomed WAY close, the house is very far from the road.

Jo and Lora in front of Makawao Union Church, made from lava stone.


5.  The yummy drinks brought right to your pool chair.




6.  Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona Memorial (Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii)


Names of the those who died on Dec. 7, 1941.  I didn't get a picture, but to the left is a small memorial of those who survived that day, but have since passed away.

Fuel and oil still leak from the USS Arizona.

God bless America!  (And the rest of the world, too.)

Jo and Lora, waiting for the movie and the boat ride out to the memorial.



7.  Views from our hotel rooms.

Waikiki Beach
Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii

Honlulu, Oahu, Hawaii

Mountain view room from hotel in Ka'anapali Beach, Lahaina, Maui

Ocean view from hotel in Ka'anapali Beach, Lahaina, Maui

Ocean view room from hotel in Maui



8.  The flowers, most of which I don't know the name of!

Bird of Paradise


Lobster Claw (I am guessing there is a more formal name to this!)

Plumaria



Orchids


Silver vase




9.  Sunsets

Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii

Baldwin Beach, Paia'a, Maui, Hawaii

Hotel, Ka'anapali Beach, Maui, Hawaii


10.  Fiber One Bars.  Lora became concerned disgusted by my lack of action in the intestines.  Though I was feeling fine and telling her this was normal, she talked me in to buying a box of Fiber One bars at the local Safeway.  I'm sold on these and my colon is working well.


Surprise!  There's really 11, but I couldn't leave this one off the list!


11.  Though I wasn't really ready to come home, it was great to come home to this!


As you can see, Big E has a big green cast on his leg.  He broke his big toe in a biking accident shortly after I left.  Maybe I need to show him how to ride a bike since I managed to ride downhill, riding my brakes the whole time to not go 100 MPH, twisting and turning on switchback roads and dodging cows without wrecking!


9 comments:

  1. I am so jealous. The pictures make a trip sound even more enticing.

    Oh, and wonky is totally a word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems so long ago! What a great trip!

    I wondered if you would put a plug in for the Fiber One bars. I would say that I was more concerned than disgusted with your lack of digestive action. But really, I was more freaked out! That's just wonky if you don't do anything for 7 days....I think you were at 7...shoot anything over 2 days is concerning to me.

    Can't wait to see the video....I know it will bring tears to my eyes!!! I've had fun doing my Josh impression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures, especially the turtle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much to say...um; take me back to Hawaii-I recognize that beach. ah...

    The fact that your friend was concerned with your intestinal action...haha

    That cast is for a broken toe? Gosh, that must be some break.

    I had those 'anxiety' drugs for flying; specifically for flying to Hawaii, and they made me angry. It was such a weird, awful feeling. Just thought you really would care about that. :)

    Beautiful photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. we are so related...I was LOL@the popping a pill constantly-that is so me when flying!

    Your pics are amazing!!!! LOVED the one of you snorkling

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures! I am so glad you got to take that trip of a lifetime and spend it with your BFF. I can't wait to see the rest of the pics.

    The Fiber One bars are da bomb.. unfortunately.. they make me really gassy. Good think I am secluded from everyone at work

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great!!!! I feel more calm just enjoying the pictures, especially the flowers - thanks for those. I can almost smell the plumeria.

    And a broken toe - while mom is gone?!?! Wrong, boys, so wrong.

    I love that you guys are close enough to chat about digestive health - a true friend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been putting these posts on hold for awhile so that I can savor them. But then I realize I can't read the NEWER ones if I don't want to get out of order! So, here goes!

    P.S. I love the snorkeling photos, and can just imagine smelling the plumeria! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete