Thursday, August 27, 2009

Leave it to this family to make asses out of themselves.

I don't know why I thought my darling 5 yr. old, or even myself, would shine at his kindgergarten orientation.  I should know better.  About both of us.

Here is how the 1/2 hour went:

CJ:  "Hello Mrs. Smith (not her real name).  My name is CJ."  and he shook her hand.  Whoo.  That went well.  We are off to a good start.

CJ:  ignoring a friend of his from preschool.  Fighting with his older brother.  Playing non-stop with the Smart Board (and I can't say I blame him.  That thing is SO cool!).  I gave her the heads up that he is the youngest of three boys.

Me:  "CJ, you should go introduce yourself to that teacher, too.  She will be helping in the classroom."
CJ:  "You mean that old lady?"
Me: (hoping she did NOT hear him) "Yes, the OLDER woman."  (She was all of mid-50's.)

At one point, I asked him to tell his teacher about something during their conversation and he said, "Why? You already told her."  I'm so proud.

Then there is me:

Me:  to Mrs. Smith, who is expecting - "Congratulations.  Is this your first baby?"
Mrs. Smith:  with a perplexed look on her face, flusters for a moment.  "Well, I have a 3 yr. old daughter.  And I have a son who passed away last year."
Me:  wanting to hug this woman and crawl under a rock all at the same time, "I am so sorry."

We are off to a good start.  Or maybe not.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good time! My son tried to wrestle one of the other kids at daycare orientation last week. Good times. Of course that just gave his teachers a glimpse of what they were in for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping by the time parent/teacher conferences come up, you'll all be on a good roll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ho-ly moly. That was SUPER awkward. But you know, in hindsight, she could have just said, "Nope. Third. Thanks for asking!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, if only our kids could act as charming and funny and clever as we KNOW them to be.

    now, as for you... ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your title. I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure she's heard worse. :) My sister has a few stories from the parents in her 2nd grade class. I'm completely frightened about what will happen on the first day of preschool at our place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, talk about a tumbleweed moment lol. I doubt that's the worst thing she's ever heard...just get her a really good holiday gift and pretend like it never happened :-)

    And if you're got five minutes to spare, can you head over to my place? I'm in need of advice and help ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  8. leave it to the kids to get your reputation started

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh NO! I can imagine how embarrassed you must have been.
    The next time the baby thing happens.. try Brian Regan's cover up. "whens the baby due?"
    "What baby?"

    "The pandas at the zoo" I heard they were expecting one"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how I love that dizzblnd quoted Brian Regan. awesome.

    I know you know that you only had the best of intentions; I'm sure she appreciated your friendliness. You can never go wrong with just being kind.

    ReplyDelete