I am SO not good around the house. I'm not talking about cooking and cleaning - I can manage just fine in those areas, when I'm in the mood. I am talking about things like lawncare, painting and home repair type stuff. That's why, as I type, I have a college boy outside cutting my grass. That same college boy painted all three of my kids' bedrooms. I like to make sure my friends' college aged kids have enough beer money, therefore, I keep them employed when they are home for their college breaks.
I have decided I make a much better supervisor than I do a hands on worker. BUT, I get that occasional manic inspired moment where I decide I am going to do some things for myself. I have become quite adept at trimming our bushes with the electric hedge trimmer. Never mind that I cut the extension cord on numerous occasions. My husband just repairs it and I move on. I have actually painted one whole room. Yep, just ONE, in my entire life.
Well, I am at it again. Painting our master bath to surprise my husband when he gets home next weekend. (Of course, if he reads my blog while he is out of town, this won't be a surprise! I doubt he remembers what color I said I was going to paint it. Do you like fuschia, sweetie?)
My ability to paint goes something like this:
- Go to the store and get paint. Also buy more accessories than I need just to prevent any additional trips to the store. You see, I hate to run errands. I hate going back for things I forgot. And I don't plan well, so I didn't think to check our "paint accessories stash" prior to going to the paint store to see if we needed something or not. In fact, I wasn't even sure where we had a paint accessory stash, but since I know my husband so well, I had no doubt that we DID have one. Somewhere.
- Find the stash. Decide what I need out of it. Drag it upstairs from the basement to the 2nd floor.
- Prep work. OH, how I hate prep work. The cleaning of the baseboards, taping off areas, getting the tarp laid out. I do all of these things, but I find this part to be tedious and boring. And the cleanup. I hate that even more.
- Realize I don't know how to get the window blinds out of the window. Struggle and pull until I think I am going to break them.
- Call my neighbor to come take down my window blinds.