Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A decision is made.

Remember the emotional turmoil I was in regarding Confirmation Classes for my 7th grader?  No?  Well, check it out here if you want the back story.

I still hadn't made up my mind on Sunday, which was the parent's meeting.  While getting ready for the day, I decided we would not do Confirmation.  My husband's response was what I thought it would be - "Organized religion isn't my thing."  "Though there are certainly benefits to having teens in church on a regular basis, it is not the be all and end all."  "If we have him do it, we have to commit to have the other two do it, too."  "If you want him to do it, I will support that decision, but if you are asking me, I don't think it's necessary."  These are not direct quotes, but you get the idea.  I mulled it over for several days.

So, in the end, I decided having him go through confirmation would not be because I thought it was important or because I thought it would teach him to be a good Christian as much as I would be having him do it because it's what we are supposed to do or in other words, an obligation.  I am not one to do things because of obligations.  I do things because it feels like the right thing to do.  I know it would have been, in the end, us going through the motions and not really being 100% IN.  Therefore, we are out.  At least of confirmation.  Maybe one of these days we will get back into the swing of going to church.  Until then, I am comfortable with the decision made.  And I know my husband is, too.  And honestly, I think God is, too.

5 comments:

  1. i think God is okay with it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7th grade is far too young for any child to know what they really want.

    It will always be there if he ever changes his mind . ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with your hubs on this one - I know too many people who are good church goers, but wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire. I'd like to think that God and I have our understanding.

    Baptism = obligation (in our family, not in general). Confirmation = child's choice.

    (and holy cow, only 10 more days!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is Love, right? That's what they tell me. I love an honest post. I'm with you on really pondering the issue and not bowing to any pressure. Good for you. That sounds like a dumb thing to say over a religious matter; I need something more profound to say. But I really mean it, Good For You!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wholeheartedly with you on this one.

    ReplyDelete