Friday, July 17, 2009

Friday Fragments

This week has been much calmer, thank goodness! Check out Mrs. 4444 for more Friday Fragments.

I live in a neighborhood that is well represented by many nationalities, thanks to our proximity to a large complex of a multinational consumer products company. Considering there have been times when me and my kids have been the only ones at our subdivision pool speaking English, you would have thought by now my French would be perfected and I would have picked up a little Mandarin, Japanese, Portugese and even a little Turkish. I haven't. However, I was able to translate the Sanskrit yelled at me today from the convertible sportscar that passed me on my way to the pool and I am fairly sure he was saying "Hey wobbly lady on the bike, if you can't keep your damn balance, get out of the road."

My kids are all home, for now. We get another quiet weekend as they will be visiting my parents and a variety of other trips coming up in the next few weeks - without me.

Hawaii plans are well under way. If you have any suggestions about things to do in Honolulu or on Maui, please leave me a comment!
It's events like this that keep me awake at night. A dad, re-enlisting after ten years out of the service because he lost his job and wanted to be able to provide health insurance and income for his four year old son, is killed after being in Afghanistan less than a month. His body returned to Cincy earlier this week. RIP.

8 comments:

  1. Hey, on my blog there's a link to another blog called "Journey Back to Me". It's my friend Kathy's blog and she goes to Maiui I think every other year! She's there right now, so she can tell you all about where to go and what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the last item in your post made me cry. How unbelievably sad.

    My husband is from 'Oahu. I've never been. Have fun in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, love your interpretation of the guy yelling at you in Sanskrit... ;)

    I've always wanted to go to Hawaii but haven't had the chance...maybe some day! :) Have FUN!!

    Sad story about the soldier...thanks for sharing!

    Happy FF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went to Hawaii on our honeymoon. The Dole Pineapple plantation on Oahu is cool, and we loved the drive up to Haleakala National Park. It's gorgeous. We got to go whale watching, which is amazing. I've been told the Paiko Lagoon Wildlife Sanctuary on Eastern Oahu is great but we didn't get the chance to see it. I really want to go back. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that is so sad...

    Wish I could tell you what places to go on your trip to Hawaii! :(

    I didn't know you were bilingual! :)

    Enjoy your quiet time (you are enjoying it, right??)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredibly sad about Army Spec. Missman. My heart goes out to his little son & his family. Our medical benefits via Cobra (since my husband was laid off in June) is $2000. per month.

    Enjoy your quiet weekend!
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried to post this on your more recent post but I couldn't pick an identity... so here it is:

    dang I wish we'd met when you were in KC! Your motorcycle guy and my motorcycle guy might have really hit it off! (Although mine was a Harley man so that may have been a deal breaker... no matter, he sold it a couple of years ago.)

    Anyway... I wanted to say thanks for your fun comments on my lame ass posting. I thought about grabbing that button, but couldn't get past P.O.S. -- That's an abbreviation for something else where I come from. ;) So... I made my own. See what you think! You're welcome to it if you like it.

    Now I have to go read what you've been up to this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a sad story about that soldier! I'm sure that every soldier's family has a story that would make us cry with sadness or with pride.

    Maui is sooooo much fun! You'll love it! We stayed on Kanapali and had an absolute blast. Of course that was 15 years ago! But we did it all -- the helicoptor rides, Catamarin to Kaui, watching the sunrise over the volcano and then biking down it through the rainforest was incredible! I'll never forget looking down at rainbows! We took a horseback ride that was great and got to stop and swim in a natural waterfall... Oh my gosh! You are just going to have the best time! Do everything!!!

    ReplyDelete