Friday, July 3, 2009

Friday Fragments

It's been a couple of weeks since I spilled my fragments on Friday. So here they are. Visit Mrs. 4444 for more fragments.

Sous Chef, who is nine, was watching the news with me this week, which of course, was all about Michael Jackson. (I don't usually watch the news with them around, so he was paying attention!) He looked at me and said "WHO is Michael Jackson?"

Can you people see my green/black background? Whenever I look at my blog, I don't see it. And many times when I open my blog or someone else's, I get an "operation aborted" error. Is anyone else having this problem or is my computer in need of a tune up?

Thanks to Catherine at Evolving Mommy, I have a delicious recipe for (somewhat) healthy cinnamon rolls made with whole wheat flour and flaxseed. They were delicious and my house smelled so good!

We are off to a fun July 4th party. Huey Lewis and the News will be playing at the festival in the park that our friends' house backs up to. Man, I do believe I saw them in concert when I was about 16 years old! How do those old farts keep on playing "concerts," even the small shows at local festivals? I'm sure my kids will be saying "WHO is Huey Lewis and the News?" I will also get to see my oldest brother, his wife, my niece and nephew, their spouses and their kids. I only get to see them a couple of times a year due to some family strife that I choose not to get in the middle of.

While we were at an amusement park earlier this week, I was sure I had something unattractive in my nostril for all to see. I really wasn't interested in picking my nose, but I also didn't want to be walking around with any nasty shit hanging out. I didn't have a mirror or tissues and CJ and I were in line for a ride. I finally leaned over and quietly asked, "Is there anything in my nose?" He looked real close and said, "No, not really." I was concerned about the "not really" and asked, "What do you mean 'not really'?" His answer? "Oh, there's just a lot of hair." Lovely. The inside of my nose apparently resembles that of an 85 year old man. I think I am going to have to buy some nose hair trimmers.

I'm still using the oil cleansing method to wash my face. I love that it is free of chemicals, inexpensive and that my skin has never felt or looked better. (Although, the woman at Ulta would probably disagree!) I have a friend who talked her sister into using it. The sister has had adult acne all her adult life and has tried over the counter, drugstore and prescription skincare. Nothing worked. After trying this oil cleansing method, her skin is awesome and she is thrilled. Check it out here: The Oil Cleansing Method.

I also am still not using shampoo, unless I have been in the swimming pool or had a particularly stinky, sweaty day. I found this article recently on the Today Show website. Apparently, I am not alone in this "anti-shampooing" regimen.

If you follow the "For your reading enjoyment" section to the right, you will see I just read The Godfather. Wow! I love the first two movies and never turn down an opportunity to watch one or both of them. I do think the third one, however, sucks rotten eggs and have only watched it the one time and have pretty much vowed to never watch it again, unless I need to be reminded just how awful it is. But the first two? LOVE THEM. After reading the book, I totally understand why the movies are so good.

Each day, my list of followers grows! Thanks for stopping by - whether it's daily or just periodically. I hope to visit those of you that I haven't had a chance to and I will leave you a comment when I do! It might not be until after school starts, though.

Have you seen this?
This is the new viewing balcony in the Sears Tower in Chicago. I've been in the Sears Tower on several occasions, but not from this view (the balcony just opened to the public on Thursday!). I SO want to go to this. It might take me all day to overcome my fear of heights and step out onto this balcony, but since I recently was able to crawl through a chicken wire tunnel five stories above ground, I think I can conquer the Sears Tower balcony. Looks like a road trip may be in our near future.

Bedbug Watch '09 continues and so far, so good. No bedbugs spotted and no bedbug bites. Big E stayed all night last night with the boy who went on that trip with us, so hopefully they're home is not infested. I have hired an exterminator due to a little problem with ants this year. Thankfully, now that I am on their program, if we end up with bedbugs, the cost is covered in the plan and I won't have to pay anything additional. He did say he thinks that will change in the future because of the number of calls/treatments they are doing these days. Oh, the stories that man told me. Yikes! All I can say is, check your hotel rooms! (And you might want to check your kids anytime they stay all night with a friend, go to camp, visit a dorm room...)

13 comments:

  1. Whew.. you have been storing those fragments!

    I CAN see your background. The issues you are having are probably because you use Internet explorer? Download Mozilla Firefox.. you will be SO much happier and will have fewer problems.

    We know we are old when our kids don't know who MJ or HL&TN are.. that's just sad. I do hope you have a great time despite the family crap.

    I would love to do that balcony too. It looks very intimidating, but very cool.

    Have a safe weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of the oil cleansing method. I am so happy I found your site! That Sears Tower thing is amazing....but it scares me to death! I also have a Sous Chef. She's a kitchen gadget junkie =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on the shampoo thing. If I am just around the house, haven't done much, not going anywhere . . . I won't shampoo my hair. I will go as long as I can. I can tell it is better for my hair.

    Those images gave me instant butterflies in my tummy. I am so affraid of heights. I wouldn't be able to put even a toe on the glass. LOL.

    Happy F.F.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could skip the shampoo- I'm sure my hair would like it. But, like shaving, I'm a daily addict to it!

    I saw those pictures- freaky heights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see your background...
    I was getting those error messages too so about a month ago I tried switching browsers. Now I'm using Firefox and haven't had any issues with blogger since I switched. Good Luck.

    Hmm... the oil cleansing method is intriguing! I'm willing to try anything that might make my skin look healthy and younger. ;)

    That viewing platform is incredible (judging from the photos)! I haven't seen it in person, but now I want to!

    Have a fantastic holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished reading more about the oil cleansing method. Do you use this every night? The article indicated that you shouldn't use it too often, but didn't actually say how often that was. And what do you use when not using the oil?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited to hear that the cinnamon rolls turned out good for you!

    I agree with the other commenter's that suggested Fire fox. I love it and I have heard of other people having trouble with IE too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The balcony is cool, but I am a little dizzy here in my chair, just looking at the photos, so I might have to pass. Green Background? Um...I see a green/white/black patterned background. But guess what? There is NO "section on the left!" What section?! Holy crap, have I been missing out all this time?!

    The nose thing? My Favorite FF so far this week :) HILARIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude. You amaze me with how on top of everything you are. From the newest anti-shampooing trend to cutting-edge cleansing methods to knowing when the new Sears Tower scary ass glass platform is opening....how do you do it?? :-)

    If you come to Chicago during BlogHer...I'll walk on that platform with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Geez, those photos of the Sears tower are scary...I get vertigo just looking at them on your blog :). They have a similar floor at the CN tower in Toronto that my kids prance all over, but I CANNOT!.

    Huey and the New are still together? Wow, I bet they'll put on an amazing show, though!

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so DON'T want to do on that tower! Makes me sick thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Happy 4th! I am having trouble getting kicked out of this site, so I may download Mozilla Firefox. Thanks dizzblind for the tip. My husband and I went on a similar platform when we went to Auckland, New Zealand. It was amazing! I hope you had fun at Huey Lewis & the News...sounds fun! Love the music, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The picture of the Sears Tower is amazing and not just little frightening. Still, if I had the opportunity, I think I might have to step out on the floor just to experience the thrill!

    ReplyDelete