Monday, June 1, 2009

Let kids be kids!

I am a little irked.  I am guessing some of you think I spend my time irked, based on how much I complain on this blog.  I promise though, since I get to complain so much here, it allows my real life time to be spent not complaining.  Much.

We (me and my kids) are heading to St. Louis next week to meet up with mom friends and kid friends from Kansas City (for any newbies, we used to live in Overland Park, KS).  The one family that has an older son who is Big E's age is not going and it will be mostly younger kids.  I told Big E he could invite a friend.  So he did.  And after thinking about it for a week, last week they said yes.  Last night, a week before we are supposed to leave, as they were dropping off Big E's friend for a sleepover (Big E is 99% back to health!), the dad told me Joe (not his real name) could not go after all because "The timing is really messing with his baseball schedule and missing some games and (gasp) he would miss a golf lesson.  Joe is crushed he can't go."

I wanted to look at this man and say "What a bunch of bullshit."  First of all, unless your child is on the verge of making millions playing baseball and/or golf, why don't you let him have a little fun.  I get that baseball is a team sport and your team depends on you, blah, blah, blah.  Really, I do.  But I also acknowledge that there are more important things than sports.  Especially when it's a one time thing that they have not experienced before.  They're 12 yrs. old for goodness sakes.  Big E will also be missing a couple of games, as will CJ (I would be downright looney if I scheduled around a five year olds t-ball game!).  I doubt their teams are going to crash and burn in their absence.  I am always shocked, and actually feel sorry for, families who plan all of their events around the often overscheduled activities of their kids. 

Or maybe these are just lame excuses for the fact that they changed their minds after thinking about it for another week.  Maybe they heard I am a maniac driver, maybe they have been informed about my penchant for muscle relaxers.  Who knows. 

I do know this.  My son is now very dissapointed, too.  He is trying to decide who to invite next. We have lived here less than two years.  I know a lot of his friends parents, but not to the point that I think they will be comfortable sending their kid away with me and my kids for four days.  Maybe they will, who knows.  I have tried to explain to Big E, though, that just because the parents have been at our house and we see them at various functions does not equate to being comfortable enough to let them go on a little trip with us.

11 comments:

  1. I would be irked that they said yes and then changed their mind. That's not fair to the kids...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor guy! That really blows. I hope he can find another friend to tag along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've get both sides- kind of. My sister is one that EVERYTHING revoloves around kids' sporting events. I constantly find myself telling her "you know, you CAN miss a game"!

    My husband, however is very over-protective and has a problem with the kids going away without us- drives me nuts! At 12, though, he started coming around with my son- we'll see if there is a double standard when my daghters get to that age!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that stinks! I'm sorry. Why say yes in the first place. I'm all for keeping committments, but exceptions are ok. Really!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Things like this piss me off. Don't say yes unless you've covered all your bases (no pun intended). Backing out is tacky. But even MORE than that, I totally agree with letting kids be kids. Parents are so pushy these days, and if your entire summer is booked with games, what's the point of having summer?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking the sports schedule excuse is just their lame way of backing out - I'm so very sorry for Big E, and his friend. It would have been a great experience for both kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That completely stinks! There's no way they didn't know about the kid's baseball schedule when they originally said yes. At least not unless they're just now getting the schedule and baseball has already been in season for awhile. It's practically a given that there will be some kid gone on the team at some point in the season, so I'm with you on this. Let them have an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is frustrating, sorry to hear that..
    Try to have fun anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a bummer, but I'm sure you'll have a blast, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How upsetting for your son. I'm getting caught up on your blog and am quite sure you must have been hurting for your son. The best revenge is having a good time without his friend (although your son probably doesn't understand this just yet.)

    ReplyDelete