Wednesday, May 27, 2009

While the cat's away...

Most people would say "the mice will play" but I am going to say "all hell breaks loose."

My hubs is out of the country (don't get too excited, northern Canada, not the French Riviera) for a guys trip this week. I've bitched long enough about my neck/shoulder/back and promise not to drone on even more. So in addition to that, what else happens? My toilet is clogged. Major clogging going on. Someone (I won't mention who because I am about to go all TMI on you guys) left a rather large deposit in the toilet with a lot of toilet paper added to it (and this is why Lee's post today was so apropo for my topic. If there had been flushable wipes availabe, there would have been less need for so much paper in the toilet!). Flush. The only thing that happened was the water got high. Thankfully no overflow. Yet. This was yesterday afternoon and after many plunges and flushes, it is still backed up. No hubs to fix it and I think I might have to call a plumber. First, however, I am going to try Mary-Ellen's suggestion (see comments from post earlier today). Before I try that little maneuver though, I will be surrounding the toilet with old towels that can go straight to the trash in case the porcelin god decides to over flow with godliness. Gag.
Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse than the body pain and toilet back up, Big E has not been able to shake a cough. So off to the doctor we go, for the third time this month! The other issues were more allergy stuff, but it has gotten the best of him. He has a pocket of puss in his eustachian tube, his oxygen count was down, he has 101.5 degree fever, he received a breathing treatment with two meds and we had to get a chest x-ray for suspected pneumonia. Shit. I thought this was the kind of stuff that happened in the winter? We made it ALL winter without any illnesses and now that it's spring...well, I guess the germs are catching up with us.

Frankly, I'll be glad when the cat gets home. Not because I miss him as much as I am going into hysterics over here. Thankfully, I deal with this kind of stress by laughing maniacally because the only other option would be to sit down and cry. And I prefer not to do that.

9 comments:

  1. I guess what you're saying is that husbands are good for crap????

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who has called her husband home from work (when he's actually nearby!) because unnamed forces at work in my house (or a neighbor kid) has clogged the toilet so bad I feared we'd have to move, I feel your pain! Hope the solution works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always have all sorts of problems when my husband leaves. Most recently he went to Scotland and our washer broke. One time we had a bat in the house while he was gone. G-man tends to get sick when daddy is away. It is always something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why does everything in the house seem to go wrong when the fix it man leaves. I hope you can get it unclogged yourself so you don't have to pay a plumber.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh you poor thing. yes, the cat needs to get home to either restore peace or help with the chaos!

    i hope big e is okay! we always get slammed in the spring... winters are usually quiet and then we all start to drop. luckily we have all been fine this year (KNOCKING LOUDLY ON MY WOODEN KITCHEN TABLE).

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's going on with toilets??? The chain broke on the one downstairs, so we have to take the lid off the top and pull on a lever inside to make it flush. We had a clog upstairs yesterday as I was trying to get the hell out of the house to go to work. Where was hubs? Gardening. At 7 AM. I'm impressed by how long you've waited before calling a plumber!
    Sorry about the back pain...especially when meds aren't even helping. I hope Big E feels better soon, too. Too much on your plate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Something in the house seems to break whenever honey's not around, hmmmm - maybe it's just a way for the men to give us a reminder on how important they are =).
    Hope big E is feeling better.

    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I soooooo feel your toilet pain, as you know. Even the heavy duty flushers don't work sometimes! I really hope Big E can shake whatever it is he's acquired. I had to take my first allergy pill today because my eye is swollen shut (attractive!), but I cannot even FATHOM the craziness you all must be dealing with. Thoughts are with you~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I"m listing you under my BLOGGERS BLOCK at my blog.

    ReplyDelete