Saturday, May 23, 2009

Things that drive me nuts...

I do my best to stay positive. To be a "glass is half full" kind of gal. It's not always easy and somedays I give myself a break because dammit, no one can have the glass half-full all the time. If you think your glass IS always half-full, I think you're nuts and you're living in an unrealistic fantasy world.

So here is a list of things I don't like, that bug me, that make me want to smack people, that make me think society is full of a bunch of dumb asses, that make me scowl... (Please note, there will be a lot of judgemental and bitchy comments. Hey, that's just how it is when the glass is half-empty. I could put a positive spin on all of these things and ignore how they bug me, make me want to smack people, make me think society is full of a bunch of dumb asses, make me scowl. But I don't feel like it today.)
  • People who think they're better than others because of ________ (fill in the blank with things like: where they live, who they married, where they went to school, where they send their kids to school, where they vacation, who their parents are, the kind of car they drive, because of the way they dress and on and on). I think you're better than me if you behave like Mother Teresa. If you don't, you're just like me. Unless you are a hateful, racist, prejudice, bigoted, selfish, closed-minded, violent being and in that case I AM BETTER!
  • People who tell everyone their kids are better than everyone else's. Now don't get me wrong, I think my kids are the best! For me. I don't run around telling everyone I know that my kids are the ________ (fill in the blank with: cutest, smartest, most talented, most athletic, most liked by their peers and teachers). My kids are better FOR ME and I assume your kids are better for YOU. That does not mean my kids or your kids are for everyone and the best at everything they do. I am proud of my kids and I love them, but I recognize not everyone feels the same way about them and I am not going to try to convince them otherwise.
  • Helicopter parents. You know the ones. Those parents, moms AND dads, who tell their kids every step to make. Who hover over them making sure they don't make a mistake. Who don't let their kids make any decisions on their own. Hello? Wouldn't you rather your child make some decisions now; decisions that if they make a bad one won't permanently impact their future? That allow them to gain confidence to make good decisions when they are older? Making a few small mistakes now so they can see what happens and how to correct the situation will help them to make better decisions as time goes on. Who wants to send their kid off to college without decision making skills because a parent has hovered over them their entire lives, not guiding them, but deciding everything for them? Not me. And I can't leave out those parents who try to control others so their kids are not negatively affected. Who are at the schools bitching every time their child is reprimanded or "not treated fairly". Who insist things change to accomodate their child. Who throw a fit every time things don't go the way the parent or child wants it to go until they finally get their way. Those parents drive me nuts.
  • Women who shun other women because _______ (fill in the blank with: they are too good for others [see first bullet], someone is not pretty enough and/or doesn't dress nice enough or own the right car, they have enough friends and don't want to add another to the list; because you like to talk about things other than kids, husbands and work). Some women just don't play well with others. Or maybe they just never graduated from junior high school.
  • People who don't move over on the highway when you are trying to merge onto the highway. Instead they speed up and/or slow down while you are trying to get on the highway. Either get the fuck out of the lane or keep driving the same speed you already are and I will decide what I need to do to get on the highway. It's my responsibility to get myself safely into moving traffic, not anyone else's. This is basic Driving 101.
  • Those who have what I kindly call "supplemental income" (ie. their parents/grandparents pay for a lot of stuff - down payments for houses, cars, vacations, tuitition for your kids to college or private school and other big ticket items) but complain about never having any money. Try buying your own house, cars, saving for your kids college funds AND your own retirement and throw in a nice vacation here and there all by your adult selves! Then we can talk about how poor you are.
  • Those who continuously spend money they don't have and then complain how they don't have any money because they can't pay off their up to their eyeballs amount of debt. And it seems those I know who are like that JUST.KEEP. SPENDING. and JUST.KEEP.COMPLAINING.
  • Men who drive Hummers. Umm, do they drive an oversized, over-the-top vehicle to make up for their lack of manly parts, because that's the only reason I can think one would drive this obnoxious vehicle. It's kind of similar to a Napoleon Complex. (Sorry if this applies to any of you or your hubands - the obnoxious car and/or the small manly parts.)
Now that I have given my "glass half-empty" tirade, I would like to point out some glass half-full stuff!

Hmmm...I'll get back to you guys when I think of something.

Just kidding. Here are some things that make my "glass half-full".
  • For the most part, my family and friends are healthy and happy!
  • We have a roof over our heads, food on the table and clothes on our backs.
  • We live in a safe community that provides a great education for my kids.
So my "glass half-full" list is short, but nothing else in life really matters more than those things listed above.

12 comments:

  1. Wow. I hope you feel better now. :) As for that helicopter parent issue, I know someone who raised three kids that way, and guess what? They're adults now and all live at home, because they don't know how to make decisions for themselves. It's really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I found myself nodding along through your post. I also try to be glass half full, but sometimes I'm just happy there's something still left in the glass, especially on a Friday night at 7.

    Wish I could find some of that supplemental income. Must be nice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list half empty list. We ALL know people like that in our lives.. hopefully we are not one of them.

    Your half full list is the best though! It says more about what's important to you than just "things"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. I agree with them all, and would probably add "people with no common sense" also. Sometimes you just need a Half-empty day. Or week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am, for the most part, a glass-half-full kind of gal, but the Helicopter Parents? I am so with you on that one. I teach high school seniors, and it constantly amazes me how many Helicopter Parents can't manage to step back and LET THEIR 18-YEAR-OLDS make the tiniest decisions on their own. I'm not sure when they think the transition is going to miraculously occur, but some of those kids are going to be in for a rude awakening when they can't rely on their parents to intervene with a professor or employer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad it isn't just me that is annoyed by these things, I could have written the same list! In reference to the merging comment, I HATE when you come to a 4-way stop and the person who has the right of way waves you through impatiently like YOU are the idiot and doesn't know who's 'right of way' it is. grrrr.
    I think you've just motivated me to write my own rant on my blog lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay for bitchy and judgmental! sometimes you have to just tell it like you feel it.

    this whole women shunning women has been on my mind a lot lately. i am not sure what the underlying cause is, but i hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it ironic how LONG the things we hate are, compared to the things we're grateful for. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could have a real SHORT list of things we don't like....."spoken by a 'my glass is half full of crap' type of woman"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree. My daughter isn't even twp yet and I still come into contact with parents trying to make me feel like their child is smarter/taller/faster/prettier than mine. Why do some people feel the need to compete in such ways?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, ugh, and more ugh. I think it would be really draining to live in an environment where all that seeming competition goes on all the time! I am surprised that you have managed so well for so long! DESPITE the half-empty mentality you have to have from time to time; seems only natural to me! And that last list is an excellent one to pull out in the half-empty times; a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. totally agree! Those same things bug the heck outta me. Great Post

    ReplyDelete