Thursday, May 21, 2009

Physician, heal thyself

I am a massage therapist. I see clients on a regular basis who have muscle aches, pains and strains. I do my best to work through their issues and provide relief. I give them stretches to help their muscles stay flexible and I give them suggestions on how to control the pain.

So, why is it when I find myself in my clients shoes, I don't offer myself this same advice and then follow through on it? Last week, I wrote briefly about the pain/pulled muscles in my back. One reader even commented about her pain and physical therapy. I e-mailed her with a couple of suggestions to help her out. But what did I do for me? Nothing.

Some of my relief was within my own knowledge. Sure, I did the usual - take muscle relaxers and ibuprofen for the pain and inflammation. I was/am in too much pain to even think about a massage - I don't think at this point I can stand having someone digging into my muscles. But did I do the obvious - alternating ice and heat? Nope.

It finally got so bad I went to the doctor yesterday. She tells me which muscle group was the most affected. Yep, I got that. At least I had that figured out. She gave me a stronger prescription for a muscle relaxer (yipppeeeee!), told me to take Aleve instead of Motrin and then reminded me to do the ice thing. Um, yeah. Why didn't I think of that?

Now I know why doctors don't treat themselves or family members. When you are personally affected by the medical issue, all rational and logical thought goes out the window. But really, I promise I do know what I am doing when it comes to my client's pain and suffering! It's just my own self I don't know how to take care of!

6 comments:

  1. oh now that is funny. isn't there a saying about the cobbler's kids don't have shoes? i think it is the same sort of thing, i guess. honestly, when you wrote that post about your neck the other day, it never occurred to me to tell you to get a massage or give yourself one! maybe i was too busy being jealous about you going to hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your advice was right on. It worked for me, now it's your turn :-) Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to be nicer to yourself!

    Pearl

    p.s. Never heard Horse Feathers before, but I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is always the way - it's hard to take your own advice. Do it anyway, and feel better soon!

    By the way, God Bless you massage therapists. I have an on-going neck thing that sometimes leads to migraines, and massage is the best remedy. Now that I'm unemployed, I have to rely on family, and there's nothing like a real professional!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, don't I know it! Being trained in family/marriage therapy...I am witnessing myself be the biggest proponent of NOT utilizing my services!

    ReplyDelete