Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Music Man

We love music at our house.  My music of choice tends to run on the alternative side.  My husband likes the same kind of music.  We both have our oldies that we like - Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Johnny Cash.  I also lean towards Carole King and Simon & Garfunkel.  Hubs will throw in some jazz and classical music.  Sous Chef loves Green Day and Death Cab for Cutie.  CJ seems to favor the Raconteurs and all three kids like the Killers.  If we are listening to 80's alternative, my kids get sick of hearing me say, "I've seen this band (person) in concert.  Twice." (Or more, depenending on the band.)

But guess what?  This is not a historical music lesson of Jo's family.  It's more about my and CJ's conversation in the car last night.

A few weeks ago, my friend and post college rommate, Stephen, made/gave me a CD he titled Saturday Night at the Warehouse 1989-1990.  The Warehouse was a club we used to go to.  I keep the CD in the car and listen to it frequently.  Last night we were driving home from Big E's baseball game at about 10:15pm.  CJ says, "Mom, remember that song that has 'work' in it?"  Of course, I knew exactly what he was talking about, so I say "Work for Love?"  and he says, "Yes, will you play it?"  So I pop in the CD and crank the volume.  When I looked in the back seat, he was totally zoned out listening to the music.  He is SO my kid.

12 comments:

  1. Love this!!

    I heard Oldest (6) singing along to "Living on a Prayer" this weekend. Thanks to Guitar Hero.

    Sigh.

    Life is good.

    Now, how do I get a copy of that CD?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny. My 7 yr old boy LOVES the cheesed out 80's hair band stuff. Of course he also likes AC/DC, Beastie Boys, Foo Fighters & both my older 2 LOVE the Killers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hilarious that's he's still digging Ministry. And glad to hear the disc is still in heavy rotation in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! I love it when the kids listen to "real" music.
    My kids are huge U2 fans. Although I do wonder about the four year old singing Sunday Bloody Sunday all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My poor 5 year old has to listen to my Beyonce 'slow tracks' cd in the van!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fact that the kids like the same music I listened to when I was young. I'll never forget the time my youngest told me about a great new band he had discovered (Bon Jovi).

    ReplyDelete
  7. My oldest used to love to wake up to "We've Got the Beat" every morning. She's a fifteen year old 80s child, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so awesome! When we go places where music is playing, even if it's overhead at a restaurant or such, my kids look to me to see if I am mouthing the lyrics along. That's honestly how they've come to know most of the music I love. If I'm not mouthing along, they always ask if I know the song we're hearing, then ask why I'm not singing if I do.

    Of course, they have also been introduced to songs I love, too, thanks to Guitar Hero. It cracks me up when one of them is singing Cheap Trick's Surrender or some such thing. I know just where they got it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love witnessing my kids discover music that they love. or anything, for that matter. and of course it is always better when it is something i love too. same story happened to me, except not music, but movies. i watched raising arizona (for the 1,000,000th time) this weekend with moody teen (his first time) and he laughed at all the parts i laugh at. he loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny, I just made my son a playlist and included several Door's songs and Pink Floyd. He and his friends are discovering all of the oldies on Guitar Hero. I love sharing music with my kids :) Especially cranking it in the car and singing at the top of my lungs (it only seems to embarrass my 12 year old--the younger girls love it!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is awesome. My girls will often groove with me to some current tunes, but more often that not, they would rather prance around to Barbie and the Diamond Castle music....

    .....but this story gives me hope....

    :-)

    ReplyDelete