Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It hurts so bad.

We have all heard the saying "It hurts so good."  I tend to say that very often, especially during a massage.  I will lay there and think "yeah, that hurts.  SO good." or even respond with that when the therapist asks about the pain she is inflicting.

I have been battling these pulled muscles in my neck, back and shoulder.  One day, I couldn't even move my arm and if I wanted to turn my head, I had to use my hand to physically move my head to the side.  The muscle relaxers are doing nothing but making me feel all ooey-gooey, which is kind of cool, but not helping the real issue.

Tonight I had one of the therapists I work with work on me.  He specializes in neuromuscular therapy, which is pretty deep shit.  And I can tell you, I was not saying "yeah, that hurts.  SO good."  I was barely able to squeak out "yowza!" when he hit all the right spots.  There were a lot of spots.  And I couldn't stop my eyes from watering and my nose from running.  He was pretty shocked I was able to move my arm as well as I can.  Oddly enough, he had the same problem not too long ago.  Basically, my trapezoid, rhomboids, infraspinatus, supraspinatus and latissimus dorsi muscles (unlike when I briefly explained Jainism, I DO know what I am talking about when it comes to these muscles!) are jacked up (that's an official medical term, by the way).  Over a week ago, it started as a sore neck and then one day while washing my hair I heard, and even worse, FELT, "snap, snap snap" all down the right side of my spinal cord over to my arm.  The kind of funny part was I had my arms up to do my hair washing and I couldn't get my right arm back down because it hurt too much to move it.  I am sure that was a lovely site in the shower!

I am now post-massage and I can't believe how much better I feel!  We only had about 20 minutes for him to work on me, but it was so worth it.  Now I need to follow up and have another one to keep the progress moving forward.  I think I will take a muscle relaxer BEFORE I go for the massage. Then maybe I won't cry.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad the massage is helping. I get migraines which are immensely helped by massage when I can manage to get one. Unfortunately, in my unemployed state, massage is not on the budgeted essentials list.

    Anyway, I didn't want to wait to answer your question, in case you're serious...try using a bucket of water to flush. Just pour it (all at once) into the bowl, from as high as you can. Sometimes the force works much better than a plunger. I have a lot of experience with this issue, so let me know if I can offer any more advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh, my. Yes, you definitely need to see this through. I was in pain just reading it, and I FELT the relief after it was over! So, go, go, GO back!

    And I'm completely coming in on the middle of a conversation between you and Mary Ellen, and it makes me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you poor thing!! Having all those muscles jacked up like that sounds extremely painful! So glad the massage helped - yeah, I'd probably take a muscle relaxant before the next one so your eyes and nose don't leak... ;) I'd send you a hug but I don't want to hurt ya! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch. Thank goodness for a good massage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need one so badly myself! My husband is THE worst when it comes to this. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Owww, owww, ouch!! I'm so glad the massage offered some relief. I too have jacked up my trapezoid, rhomboids, infraspinatus, supraspinatus and latissimus dorsi muscles - it ain't pretty.

    Neither is the greasy hair that comes with not being able to fully shower.

    At least you'll get out of doing the dishes, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, i think you definitely need to take the pills before you go next time. it's like taking advil before you go for your bikini wax (works WONDERS!).

    so what's your deal, girl? stress?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your pain! Glad you found something that worked. And glad you got your arm back in place. As odd as it sounds I can only imagine how painful it must have been. Hope it keeps getting better.

    ReplyDelete