Saturday, May 9, 2009

I think it might be time for a real pet

We have been in our house almost three years now. Each year, my youngest, CJ, has managed to have a "pet" spider. I HATE spiders, but thankfully they have been outside. Until now. The first one was in a small tree and it really was quite fascinating to watch. Last year, there was a spider just outside the window and if we made too much noise while watching it, it would run in behind the shutter. Both spiders were named Spiderly, by CJ.

This year, the latest family pet has joined us inside. It's a smallish black spider and it's name is ... you guessed it, Spiderly. It is always on the ceiling. We have ten foot ceilings and there really is not an easy way for me to get to it. It was on the window blind one day and as I opened a window, I swear that spider jumped on me and then jumped off of me onto the window shade and disappeared. I already had my shoe off and trying to smash it with CJ in the background screeching "why are you trying to kill my friend?" It has remained on the ceiling since, at least when we see it. Who knows where that thing is lurking when we aren't seeing it. Whenever it starts coming my way, CJ will taunt me with "Spiderly is coming to get you!" and then he laughs. An evil, wicked five year old laugh. When I get up or move, he will say "You aren't going to kill him, are you?" I told him as long as Spiderly stays on the ceiling, he is welcome to remain in the family.

Today, as we were leaving the house for school, Spiderly was lurking on the ceiling. All of a sudden, CJ ran back in the house shouting, "I have to go say goodbye to Spiderly!" and I heard him, in his very sweet five year old voice, affectionately say "Goodbye, Spiderly!"

I need to talk to my husband again about those allergy shots he would need in order for us to get a cat.

(PS: I swear, not five minutes after writing this post, CJ came to tell me, "Spiderly is on the floor and he is all growed up." SHIT, that can only mean there is one of those huge hairy spiders roaming around and dammit, my husband is not at home! I prepared to kick some spider ass put on my shoes and we located the "grown up" Spiderly. Thankfully, this was a brown spider, ie: not Spiderly, and it was not big at all. One stomp, and it was gone.)

10 comments:

  1. Nooo, Jo, don't you know, when you kill a spider, it causes it to rain?!

    As for your hubby, what about those hairless cats - They're supposedly not so bad for those prone to allergies - Mind you, they can look a little weird! Have a great (spider-free) weekend! Fhi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only spiders and cats. Certainly there are other options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spiderly. LOL...does he have friends such as Snakely and Roachly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spiders give me the heeby jeebies... I'm thankful Princess Nagger doesn't have a fondness for them... ;) Hopefully you'll be able to find some sort of compromise with CJ's allergies... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids get attached to the weirdest creatures. I hope Spirderly stays on the ceiling.. he eats all the bugs. He only comes and crawls on your toes at night.. so don't worry, you'll never know :)

    Evil.. I am pure Evil

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think it's time for spiderly to "go live on a farm".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Jo. It's been really dry here in SoCal. The spiders and cockroaches like to come inside to look for water. I hate both! We were in a hurry to go out last night, and as I pulled one of my shoes out of my shoe tree in the closet, a ROACH WAS ATTACHED TO THE SIDE OF MY SHOE! I whacked it off to try to smash it but the sucka got away. Now it's lurking. Somewhere. In my room. I'm gonna smash that SOB!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, poor friend of Spiderly...couldn't they just be coaxed outside instead of squished? So they can eat the bugs?

    Honestly, I'm impressed you've allowed Spiderly him/herself to remain inside. I'd be a little disconcerted knowing one was roaming around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Following from MBC. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete