Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I fund the library

I don't know what it is, but I have a hard time getting my library books returned on time. Add to it that I frequent two different libraries - my suburb library which is its own entity, and the county library which is part of the greater city library network. I think in total, I owe them enough that I qualify to own the library.

Oh, and I can't forget to mention the book we checked out in 2004. It went to Kansas with us. My son kept asking me to mail it back. Then, when we would visit, he would want to bring it so we could return it then. I, of course, was all "Hell no, we aren't returning that book. We OWN that book now!" When we moved back, I hesitated to get a new library card for fear security would tackle me to the ground and demand the $5.95 for the cost of that Goosebumps paperback book. But I am smart. My previous library card was in my maiden name as I did not legally change my name until after we had been married for over ten years. (I wanted to make sure this marriage thing was going to work out. Ha! Not really, I just didn't feel the need to change my name.) Anyway, my new card is with my married name and our current address, obviously different than my previous address. Whoo - no alarms, no handcuffs, no tackling to the ground. I totally went under the library radar. I am good!

Many of the times, I have finished reading the book, I just forget to return it. The really ridiculous part is that I could just go online and renew the book so I avoid the fines until I remember to return it/them. Today, for instance. I have three books that were due earlier this week. All of them have been read, two have been read twice (my son's books). Since I haven't made it to the library, I could just renew online. Have I done that? NNNNnoooooooOOOOOO. I can't believe they let me continue to check out books. Don't they realize with just a few more fines, they are going to have to hand over the keys to me as the new proud owner of our library system?

I'm off now, I have some online renewals to process.

14 comments:

  1. When we moved to our current town a few years ago imagine my GLEE when, on our first visit to the library, I was told that there are never any late fees here! You can return books as late as you want with NO LATE FEE. Works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a mysterious $2.25 fine at my library at present. I just keep telling them I have no cash on me when I check out books. So far, so good!

    Last week, a lady called the bookstore wanting to purchase a BN gift card to have sent to her library as a way to pay for the copy of The Five People You Meet In Heaven she had lost. We had to explain to her that the library probably just wants the book back rather than a thoughtful gift card, but I did appreciate her ingeniuity. If my library ever does come after me for my $2.25, perhaps I'll give her idea a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, so i just laughed so hard, i thought i was the only one who did that! i have a book from when my daughter was a tot and she is going to be 21 in 2 months!! lol welcome to the bad library members club! lol i'm following you from mbc. stop by anytime to say "hi" and feel free to drop off a few books, maybe i'll get them back! lol
    hugs,
    shelley
    http://theplaygroundprincess.blogspot.com/
    http://iamstillstandingafterallthistime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you're the person CNN sent the APB out for the overdue library books!!

    (It's nice to be reading your sense of humor again. Was getting a bit of blog burn out checked out of the blog scene for awhile.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being afraid of the fine is how I ended up "owning" Woody Allen's "Deconstructing Harry".

    I can never set foot in a Blockbuster again!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are we twins?!? I haven't changed my last name yet! And I go to two libraries and have a hard time not giving them two bucks in late fees every time I visit! Geesh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are hilarious! One of my coworkers is in her 30's and still owes money to her college parking office for parking illegally so many times on campus! She gets a monthly letter about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First: You have ONLINE RENEWAL?!?! We can't even renew at my library because they let you have the books for a month instead of the regular two weeks.

    Second: I ALWAYS have to pay fines on my books-on-CD. We're not allowed to drop them in the book drop, so I have to get there during business hours...I usually save a few up to drop all at once, but then they're ALL overdue together! Pttthtt.

    Third: Am not kidding on this one...please e-mail me because I need to pick your brain about the keeping your birth last name. AM currently in negotiations with Pokey on this subject, and I need assistance from someone who knows! Thanks in advance~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea you were a library fugitive! I belong to two libraries, too (evidently it's the in-thing to do) but neither of them charge late fees.

    I take out a lot of books on CD, but I just bring them home and load them on my Ipod, so I can return them in a day or two. Once in a while they call me and ask if I have the last CD, because it's still in my computer's disc drive. Ooops.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i THOUGHT the wanted poster hanging in the post office looked familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We check out so many that we always have overdue ones and have lost a few. Oh well. We just consider those fines to be donations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our library doesn't fine as well. I guess with repeat offenders such as yourself, they figure it's not worth the effort ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could you drop mine off while you're at it? I think they are 3 years overdue....

    ReplyDelete