Monday, May 4, 2009

Here's to good friends!

Last week I had dinner with friends from my old neighborhood. Man, these people saw me through two of my three babies and one of my brain surgeries. We have experienced births, and unfortunately deaths, of our children, exciting accomplishments and crushing dissapointments. There have also been a few goodbyes as some of us moved away. I love getting together with these gals. Our children range in age from infant to high school and there is a wealth of knowledge and good advice from chatting it up with these women. They can get a little crazy, too, which makes our time together even better, even if it's just to hear the stories of drunken concert nights, adults only vacations and crazy-ass Christmas parties.

Soon I will be catching up with my Kansas friends, affectionately called the Ladies' Loungers. First, in St. Louis on a mom/kid vacation, and then later in June for a moms only lake trip. These woman make me laugh until my stomach hurts. I swear, there are times when I can't catch my breath. We drink a lot, laugh a ton and occasionally steal signs from businesses' yards that catch our attention. No, we did not eat at the restaurant that had this sign out in front. However, we couldn't resist drinking a little, or a lot, too much and going out for drive (with a designated driver) to steal it right out from under them!
Then there is my BFF. I am really not liking the 14 hour difference between the two of us. My easiest time to talk is when I am in the car sans kids. That way, I can say whatever I want with whatever language I want about anyone I want without little ears hearing. I can't do that now and it bites. We do talk on a regular basis, though, and it is obvious to us both that 7,500 miles cannot slow this friendship down.

And I can't forget my neighbor friends. I love being able to wander over to their houses when I need a few (or many) minutes of a break! Or my post college roommate who supplies me with good music for my blog. I look forward to every outing with him!

Now that I have babbled endlessly, you might wonder what my point is? It is that I feel very blessed for good friends. I may not see or talk to them as often as I would like, but their mark on my life is permanently etched with good memories. I love my family (as in parents, in-laws, siblings, etc.), A LOT, but I don't have much in common with them and often feel kind of a void when I think about our relathionships. So it really is my friends who bring me the joyful times I so enjoy and long for.

13 comments:

  1. You are a very blessed lady!!

    And that sign is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today must be "blog about your best friend" day!

    Hey, how do you get that "you might like these stories" thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought weasel was a white meat. Who would have known.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always tell the kids we're having "weasel burgers" for dinner when they ask. That sign is priceless!

    Love those nights with great friends. The time just slips by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THere's probably something about MAy that reminds us of our friends!
    Have a great week.
    Keep smiling =D
    Jenjen
    www.GottaLoveMom.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. A toast to friends! The true blue ones...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sign. What a beautiful tribute to the ones who mean the most to you.. I didn't think you were babbling at all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so lucky to have such different groups of loved ones in your life...and how wonderful that you recognize it and are grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I miss my friends from home! ;-(...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Friends really are the best! I recently had a weekend away with two of mine and realized how important it is to keep them in my life. . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's to good friends--I'll drink to that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good times, love hanging with friends that make your stomach hurt from laughter

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for thinking of me - Finally completed the "meme" - http://gottalovemom.blogspot.com/2009/05/sensitive-and-silly-ewok.html

    ReplyDelete