Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Un-Mother's Day

I am a mom.  Every day.  I cook, I clean (sort of), I make sure the kids are clean.  I help with homework, I provide a taxi service.  I enforce the rules, I answer questions, I play.  I argue, I set guidelines, I throw up my hands in frustration.  I cheer, I support, I am their biggest fan.  I worry, I fret, I love.  I would lay down my life for these three kids.  I wouldn't change any of this.  I chose it and I would do it again in a New York minute.  In the future, when they are grown and gone, I will still be a mom.  Every day.

What does it mean to celebrate Mother's Day?  I guess it is different for everyone, but I would like to make a suggestion to Hallmark to rename the holiday.  I would like it to be Un-Mother's Day. One day a year when I rest.  Really rest.  Give up the worry and the work (but never the love!) and do my own thing, on my own terms and on my own schedule.  For me, that means no schedule, nowhere to be at a set time, no cooking, no cleaning, no work.  If I decide to go somewhere, I just hop in the car and go.  If I decide to lay in bed all day, I do.  If I decide to join my husband and kids outside or for a bike ride, so be it.   

My husband and kids are good at allowing this to happen (and honestly, it happens more than once a year!).  Now if I can just let other's know this is what I want for Mother's Day...until then, I will be a daughter and a mom on Mother's Day.

Happy Un-Mother's Day everyone!  May you get to do what YOU want to do today.

14 comments:

  1. I hope you have a great day! I know I will. I like your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! That is so very true...when you're a Mom, Mother's Day can tend to be just like any other day... :)

    Wishing you a very Happy Un-Mother's Day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! happy UNmother's day!! i am off to a good start. lying on the couch watching $10,000 pyramid reruns while hubs feeds the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of this - a day when I don't have to anything except what I want...I can't even quite picture it!

    Happy unMother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have a wonderful day doing as YOU wish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I never thought of it THAT way before! In that case, Happy UNMothers Day to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of a cartoon many years ago. It must be draining being a mom because most mothers just want a day off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please start the official petition - I'll be all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Works for me! And it did today. My youngest son made an incredible scallop dinner. I did nothing today. Perfect Mother's Day. Sometimes we just have to say - this is what I want. Especially in families of men and a mom.

    Happy Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you had a great, RELAXING day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is a fantastic idea. I will support a movement on this front!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, Un-Mother's Day is a great idea.

    My 7 year old told me yesterday that he wished there was a Kid's Day. Are you kidding me? Um, isn't everyday kid's day?!?

    Just found your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd sign that sucker a thousand times over. Great post.

    ReplyDelete