I realize there are people out there who think this is too much, too strict, too "big brother" or whatever. Frankly, I don't care.
I find it a little amusing that I am writing this contract, because in all honesty, my husband and I are pretty laid back. We do give our kids a lot of flexibility, chances to show they are responsible and at times, I feel like I let them get away with way too much. We don't typically enforce huge punishments when they mess up, especially if it's the first time. Thankfully, they are still young enough that they haven't done anything to warrant major disciplinary action. Yet. We do stick to our guns, though, when we do lay down the law and I have no doubt that Big E knows when we say we are going to do something, we mean it.
I do believe this contract will show Big E how serious we are about the rules we have in place for having this phone. It is a privilege, not a right, and I want him to understand we can, and will, eliminate that privilege if he chooses not to handle it responsibly and/or to not follow the rules. Since we have not ever done anything like this before, he understands we mean business. He keeps asking when the contract will be ready for him to sign!
Contract for Cell Phone
- I will not send any inappropriate text messages. This includes texts with profanity or sexual comments.
- If I receive the above type of text messages, I will show the inappropriate text messages to my parents.
- I will not use my phone from the hours of 9pm-7am or during the school day. The only exception to this is if I need to call my parents or if I need to call an adult for an emergency.
- If my phone needs to be replaced because I, or someone around me, has mishandled it or lost it, I will have to pay the replacement cost.
- I will not give my phone to others.
- I will not give my phone number to anyone I do not know or to anyone I do not trust.
- The phone will remain in the kitchen during the night hours.
- My parents have access to my phone messages, text messages and call log at all times and will likely review this information on a regular/daily basis. I will not delete messages so they can not see/hear them.
- My parents can add to or change these rules at any time.
- If I do not follow these rules, I will lose my cell phone privileges for a set period of time or possibly permanently.