Monday, April 27, 2009

She wants my husband!

Big E's baseball season recently started.  This is the second year his team is playing together.  They lost a few players to other teams and have a few new players, but overall, it's the same team. 

I was talking with one of the moms, S, on Friday night and we were discussing who left, who came back and who some of the new players are.  She then said, "I am glad B is gone." (B is the mom of one of the boys who switched teams.)  In my usual manner, I didn't say anything and just looked at her.  She then continued, "She was a little too attracted to E."  E is S's husband.  Are you with me? 

I honestly can't remember the last time I had to physically, mentally and emotionally stifle a giggle, a smile or anything remotely related to a giggle or a smile.  Actually, let's just be honest, I was struggling to not burst out with hysterical laughter.  Thank goodness I had a drink in my hand, because I just started sipping to try to give my face something to do!  She made this comment with a totally serious expression and maybe even a little bit of anger.  All I was thinking was "Have I missed something?"  E is a nice guy and all, but I find it hard to believe B would be interested in him.  Oh, and B is married.  I am not naive enough to think any of this would stop a wild love affair, but it just seemed so comical and I am laughing just typing this out.  I don't think I will ever be able to look at S the same again!

I also thought she was taking a bit of a risk sharing this information with me and I am reminded why I often don't respond to comments like this and just let the person keep talking.  She and I do not know each other well at all.  She has no clue who I am friends with.  Reality is, B could be my BFF and S would not know that.  So she really took quite a risk telling me that.  I have really learned to filter what I say.  With two relocations in three years, I have learned to keep a lot to myself until you really get to know people (and then I still keep a lot to myself!).  I have learned to observe a lot and say nothing to casual acquaintances.  Save that crazy, gossipy stuff for your nearest and dearest, TRUSTWORTHY friends.  Or you could just put it on your blog.  No one will find out about it there, right?

12 comments:

  1. I find when a woman says something like that, it's usually code for HER husband is a little too flirty/attracted to the alleged hussie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you think.. you can tell your blog or tell your dog.. either way.. no one will ever find out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it says a lot about a person when they say things like to whom ever they are talking to without regard to how well they know their audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there...I'm new to your blog, but we are just starting baseball here, too, so I can relate.

    We love watching our kids play but there are times that I wish the league videotaped the games so I could watch them at home. Then I could cheer loudly, gripe (when necessary, which is every inning), and NOT have to deal with the social buzz (aka snobs).

    Phew, that felt nice! Anyways, I hope my tongue can take all the biting it'll get so I can attend these games. Wish me luck!

    BTW check out my post from today re: my anticipation to our season opener...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I was going to say something about how the husband was probably the true flirty one, but I see that's been covered!

    I have a friend who can slip into being this type of woman, and I've found that in the time I've known her, I spend a lot of time just saying "hmmm" or "interesting" when she goes off on whatever she's focusing on that day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People like this amaze me. I'm learning pretty quickly to play the noncommittal "hmmmm" card! And oh yes, the blog is ALWAYS the place for sharing--no one will EVER KNOW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sip that drink and dish it HERE! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always admired people whose filters were solidly intact :) Nicely done. You are so right!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that woman needs to learn the joys of keeping her feelings to herself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tend to keep a lot to myself too but I always enjoy listening to the non-filtered ladies out there--they're so busy filling in the conversation that I don't have to "work" at all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL!

    Some people just feel the need to fill silence - usually with something stupid.

    I need to pay closer attention while I'm saying "hmmmm" - excellent point about great blog fodder!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay. I admit that it's late for me over here to be reading blogs and I'm generally in a haze due to a long five days of all kinds of stomach illness in this household but I'm confused. Is Big E in anyway related to E? What am I missing?

    I think I got it but the E stuff is throwing me for a loop. But I would have laughed too. I think.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete