Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Outdoor Adventures

Big E left this morning for a three day field trip with his class (not all 850 kids in his class, but his team, which is about 75 kids).  It's at an outdoor adventure camp - zip lines, obstacle courses, dirt, mud.  Thank the heavens above my husband volunteered as a chaperone for this trip, because I would have HATED EVERY MINUTE of it.

I am a bad mommy when it comes to stuff like this.  I don't mind the outdoors, when it involves the 85 degree weather with a slight breeze, the beach, cabana boys and drinks wtih umbrellas.  I can do an amusement park like nobody else (even if I can't ride the rides thanks to the permanent brain alteration of two surgeries!).  I can walk 20 miles a day for three days and sleep in a tent, shower in a semi-truck that has been converted to a shower truck, and eat on the ground - two years in a row.  I can do a lot of things  But the thought of sleeping in cabins with a group of kids (I assume they would have put me with 6th grade girls, which I have to say, would have been fun to hear their night time talk and all) and having to climb, jump, run fall, zipline and who knows what else, all outside, makes me so happy I didn't sign up for this one!  My husband will love it though!

The one part I would like to see is when they re-enact the Underground Railroad.  Here in SW Ohio, being that we are just across the river from "the south" (Kentucky), this area was alive with the Underground Railroad and getting slaves out of the south.  We even have the Freedom Center, which addresses not just the Underground Railroad and past slavery, but slavery in our current times as well.  Anyway, they will role play what it was like - hiding, being a slave, being the people who were trying to hide and protect slaves and provide them their passage to freedom.  Apparently it's pretty intense and they will wear bandanas to signify how much they want to participate at any given time.  If they are "in" the role play, the bandana is on their head.  If it gets too much and they only want to observe, they place the bandana around their neck.  If and when they want to join back in, they put the bandana back onto their head.  I would have liked to have seen this, to participate in this, to see how the kids handle this.  Our community is so sheltered, our kids are so sheltered.  It will be good for them and I believe it is something that will stay with them for a long time.

I can't wait to hear about it.  I hope that part at least makes me a good mommy!

15 comments:

  1. wow! that sounds like such an awesome trip for the kids (NOT something i would want to endure, either). you know they will have a great time!... and learn a thing or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel bad. My idea of an outdoor adventure is a hotel reservation at a resort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you sound like a good Mommy. Cabins where the sound bounces off the wall, not for me, either. I have tender ears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have an outdoor adventure like that with my 2 boys but 75? No way! The Freedom Center sounds like a very cool and educational place--wish we lived closer to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not alone. I had four children & always felt like the 'looser mom'. I was selective as to what my tolerance level was when it came to things like that. We just make up for it in other ways!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd sip mai-tais with you under the cabana... but you couldn't pay me enough to go on a 3-day trip like that with a group of 6th graders! I'd have good intentions and be all excited, right up until I crossed paths with the first Queen-Bee. At which point I'd want to slap her and her posse. Then I'd want to give pep talks to all the wallflowers and none of that would turn out well!

    On the other hand, that Underground Railroad experiences sounds fantastic! I hope your son and your hubby have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SOunds like a great way to teach kis about this painful part of US history. I bet it's something that will stick with the kids when they are older.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a great trip, but 'sounds like' are the key words for me, too! I like my comforts of home far too much to sleep with nature!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hurray to the school for undertaking such a great field trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know how I feel - oh cabana boy!

    But I would be dying to hear allllll about it. Attentive listening is totally the sign of a good Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To each their own. I would have LOVED this trip. The outdoor activities are fun to watch. Hell, I would have even participated. The historical part of the trip, like you said, would have been absolutely fascinating. I hope you post all about it and that MG remembered to take pics (you gave him the crappy camera right?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. and BTW.. you are a SUPER mom! Don't ever think otherwise ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, is everyone blind, or did you JUST change your template?! Love it!

    You can stay at home, and I will go with the guys to the adventure camp, okay? I'm all about this! But, I still want to hang at the cabana with you, so can we schedule a separate trip? I don't want to miss out.

    FANTASTIC field trip idea. You know my thoughts on this subject, so I am thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So if your husband took this one, then you have to do the next one! The one where they study Polynesian culture and fly out to the Pacific Islands to study beach life!

    Then you will have done your part as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How wonderfully fabulous your blog ......

    ReplyDelete