Thursday, April 23, 2009

Bad momma!

Some days, I am reminded that there are some things I seriously need to improve on.  My oldest son is very social and always has been.  Because of that, he is constantly planning activities and inviting friends (notice the "s" on friend, because his planning always involves more than one child!) over for a variety of activities and sleepovers.  I have said it before and I will say it again, this kid needs to live on a commune.  And he can be "Julie" (of the Love Boat for you young'uns) and keep everyone's social and activities calendars organized and full.

As for the other two, well, I'm not as good at making sure they have friends over.  Sous Chef recently had a friend stay all night.  This was the first time he has done this, not counting the neighbor friends.  He was so excited and I wonder why I didn't start encouraging this a little earlier!  CJ is not ready for sleepovers, but I don't even do a good job of making sure he has regular playdates.  Thankfully, he hangs tough and doesn't mind getting knocked around with the big boys.

I want my kids to have long lasting friendships with kids from school, sports teams and other kid activities.  I want them to have friends over and to get invited over to their friends' houses, but honestly, I have SUCKED at guiding them into this.  I do hope to do better.  I even reminded Sous Chef he should think about inviting another friend for a sleepover.  He already has picked out who it will be.  Now if we can just find an open weekend!

10 comments:

  1. My problem is that my house suffers from C.H.A.O.S. (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome!)and I never want to invite people until the mess is cleaned up. My poor almost-three-year-old thinks his siblings' friends are his.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were no such things as playdates when I was a child. And since I am childless, guess there are no playdates in my future.

    And the sleepovers were rare - but all-night gossip (and eating) sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so lazy, I always like it better when they sleep at other kids' houses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll probably get some good blog fodder out of your kids socializing with others more. Think of all the *crazy* moms you'll meet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping buy from follow me club - I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with that! Like Carla.. I also suffer with CHAOS. As my kids were growing up, they never had anyone over either. The result? A brilliant daughter with a college future and an outgoing loving, caring very social boy. Now, I look back and wish I would have been able to have sleepovers for my daughter.. but oh well.

    Have fun and enjoy your kids.. that's all that matters ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. listen... be careful what you wish for! mr. beans is so social and always has been. we have had to put the kibosh on the sleepovers because they have gotten way too frequent with way too many attendees. moody was a late bloomer, socially. once he hit high school, he found a group of kids he is extremely comfortable around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I have had the same thing happening with my three kids, only it's my oldest who is always invited somewhere instead of having sleepovers at my house. All of his friends live on the block. My middle son doesn't get the chance because his friends don't live within walking distance, so I'm too lazy to call someone and schedule something. As for my 5 year old daughter? Hmmm..haven't thought about that yet...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not very good at guiding this either. It's so true, the oldest kids seem to get the most, and the siblings have to really be outspoken to be heard.

    My poor youngest barely gets an activity or a playdate in edgewise--we are always running, trying to keep up with the older two.

    ReplyDelete