Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tuesday's Tribute: The Middle Place

Tuesday's Tribute
A Jay and Deb Production.

I love a good book. Reading is one of those things I can do for long periods of time when I am dug deep into a story, whether it is fact or fiction.

Right now I am reading The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan. It's well written, funny and honest. It's her life story of that timethat most of us have or will experience. It's the middle place - that point where you are a parent and still a child yourself.

I pride myself on being pretty damn indepndent. But even so, I think most of us, including me, can admit to experiencing the middle place. I continue to drift in and out of the middle place. As I get older, and especially after living far away from all family, I find myself physically out of the middle place more than I am in it. Emotionally, though, I am not sure we ever leave the middle place. I know at any given moment, I can count on my parents to do whatever needs to be done to help. It's THAT knowledge that keeps me in the middle place. Even if I don't make that call for help, it's good to know I can. As my parents get older, I do realize the day will come when I won't be able to do that. But I will always be Bob and Sandy's daughter, their child. And that means I will never 100% leave the middle place.

If you want to watch the trailer for The Middle Place, it's just a couple of minutes. You will need to pause the music at the left.

10 comments:

  1. Sniff. Excuse me, I need to go call my Dad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to pick this book as my April read. I'm trying to read one book a month. I know (GASP) such high expectations. lOL I enjoyed your tribute

    ReplyDelete
  3. I regularly tell my mother that she needs to perfect eternal life because I absolutely cannot do without her. The middle place will be just fine with me ad infinitum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this a while back- looks SOOO good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - sounds like a killer idea for a book - I'll have to check it. I've never thought of it this way but now I will. I am still very much in the middle place I think....I think.

    I just read a book on my trip - The Year of Fog - did you read it?? It freaked me out and I was riveted the ENTIRE time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have wanted to read this book for quite some time but it is always checked out of my library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I'm in the middle place, unless you could the baggage parts of who I am today. I'll check out that book when I'm not at work...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of this book, I might have to check it out.
    I am also very much in the middle place right now. My family are so far away and all I want is to be near them at this point in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have thumbed through that book at work, and have put it on my list to read soon. This clip was inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have heard of this book and everyone says it is fantastic. i think it will just make me sad. my relationship with my parents is weird.

    good tribute, though!

    ReplyDelete