Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Shopping and cleaning. How are they alike?

Shopping for me falls almost into the same category as cleaning.  I know this sounds weird, but it's true.  If I am in the mood to shop, I am like a whirlwind - trying on clothes, shoes, jewelry.  If I'm not in the mood to shop and I am forced into a mall or retail store of some kind, there better be shots of vodka and some seriously good music playing if I am going to interact with anyone who wants to keep all of their fingers and hair attched to their proper bodily location and fully functioning.  Cleaning is the same way.  If I get a burr up my butt to clean, I am a cleaning machine.  If not, it's all I can do to even THINK about cleaning.  Unfortunately, my heightened mood to shop happens more frequently than my heightened mood to clean.  My house and bank account will attest to that!

I recently went on a shopping spree.  Off I went to buy whatever.  Nothing specific in mind, just some things for spring.  After two clothing stores and a shoe store, I.HAD.NOTHING.  I couldn't find one damn thing.  Who can't at least find a damn pair of shoes?  It is almost unconscionable to me to walk into a shoe store and not find AT LEAST one pair of shoes I can't live without.  I went home with one shirt that was on clearance.  This was not what I had in mind.

I was determined though, and the next day my neighbor and I hit the mall.  Clearly, that was my day!  I came home full of bags and feeling good.  And as if that was not enough, the next day I bought my very own carpet shampooer.  What a great way to mingle my shopping and cleaning moods.  Yep, I am a multi-tasker.  Now, if I could just get the cleaning burr up my butt and get that shampooer out of the box and actually doing it's job!

16 comments:

  1. Good for you! I love having a carpet cleaner - it's a must have with kids!! I always have issues shopping where when I have to find something specific or for a particular occasion, then I can NEVER find anything! Ugh! Then, when I'm broke there's always all sorts of great stuff I want and can't have.

    I just can't win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! It comes in spurts, doesn't it? Unfortunately in the house situation, it's like I have to hit rock bottom before I start climbing back up! Good luck with that shampooer. :)

    And P.S. I think I like Hothouse Flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanna come do mine next?

    With the warm weather spurt this week I've been in the mood to buy for the house, but refuse to get anything until I've cleaned. So this week I haven't bought a darn thing. You'd think I'd thrive on the incentive, but nope! I went outside instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shopping similar to cleaning????? Whaaaa???
    After I gave myself the resuscitation paddles, I would like to sit you down and show you the beautiful artistry and joy of glorious shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just hate it when I go out with actual money to burn and can't find a stinkin' thing! Good for you for heading out again! You hit the jackpot! Maybe that's what I'll try next time!

    I have carpet cleaner envy.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to stimulate the economy!!!

    No wonder the Market was up almost 400 points yesterday.

    Go Jo! Go!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Em - all I was thinking was way to stimulate the economy with that shopping spree! Thank God you returned to the mall and just didn't leave it at that one clearance shirt.

    I'm with you though - I'm not into shopping that much. It overwhelms me. I am barely ever in a shopping spree mood. Believe it or not, I more often am in the mood to clean. I know, kill me now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seem to have cleaning and shopping moods too. I think I might have more fun with my shopping moods if I actually had money to buy anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok, when i read the title i was gearing up to disagree with you. BUT... you are totally right! i am the same way, although i guess my version of cleaning is more like straightening and purging the clutter. i have a really hard time getting motivated to scrub the toilets.

    nothing NOTHING sucks worse than shopping while not in the shopping mood. never do this while swimsuit shopping. i was almost carried out of the store one spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I've been out of the country for too long - what is a burr? I understand what you are saying, I've just never heard of a burr. Nice word - sounds better than a wild hair.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the same way. However, I'm more likely to clean than I am to shop. I love shopping, but I'm a bargain hunter (cheap ass), and it kills me to pay full price for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I avoid anything beyond grocery shopping for as long as possible. Sadly, that's usually when we realize when it's late or someone is yelling for it that there's no toilet paper in the house! I don't like to go to the mall, and when I go to work (the store is an anchor store on the mall), I enter through our doors and pretty much turn around and go out them at the end of my shift. When it comes to cleaning, though, I have a definite mindset! Perhaps I have too much of a mindset, really! Just having a semi-organized environment makes me more relaxed than shopping is ever going to do for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have developed into a very poor shopper myself. I'm not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not a good shopper - I tend to go, get the thing I came for and run away as fast as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm always shocked how many times I try to go shopping and can't find anything -- somtimes when I even have money!
    Pearl

    ReplyDelete