Friday, March 13, 2009

Fundraising Galore

I love being a part of things that help others.  I have been part of a team that raised over $42,000 and walked for 60 miles - TWO DIFFERENT TIMES - to help raise awareness about breast cancer, mammograms, etc.  I even have a tattoo to remind me of this accomplishment.  I am not an athlete, not even close.  So walking for three days for 60 miles (you do the math - 20 miles a day and sleeping in a tent each night), two years in a row, once just six months after having brain surgery, is quite the accomplishment for me.

But this really isn't about me.  Honestly, this is about someone else!  This is about Jay.  He is participating in the St. Baldrick's 2009 Contest for the second year in a row.  He is raising money to help find a cure for childhood cancer.  He's not walking 60 miles, he is not sleeping in tents during rainstorms.  He's doing something that will outwardly show his passion.  For an extended period.  He is SHAVING HIS HEAD.   Bald.  As an eagle.  He'll be a cue ball.  You get the picture.  I have never met Jay in person, but I do know he is a good guy.  My family has personally experienced the loss of a ten year old little girl to brain cancer.  MK was a good friend to Big E and her mom is a good friend of mine.  I am thrilled that Jay is "shaving the way to conquer kids cancer" so that no parent will ever have to say good-bye to their child due to this nasty disease.

So go check him out and throw a few bucks his way!

5 comments:

  1. It's so great that you are promoting Jay and his cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! that is a pretty awesome feat. those little 5k ones kick my ass, so i can't imagine 60 miles. that is something to be really proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you SO much, Jo...I really appreciate the help!!

    and 60 miles??!! Holy CRAP.

    OUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it's awesome that you participated in those walks and raising so much money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Wow..60 miles in 3 days? I might make that in one YEAR!

    ReplyDelete