Thursday, February 5, 2009

WOW! 15 years.

When I took a vow of "til death do us part" it was hard to see into the future.  At 26 years old (and 31 years old for my hubby), it's nearly impossible to know what the future would hold.  I did know, though, that barring any craziness or tragedy, I would still be married "til death do us part."  And here I sit today, 15 years after taking those vows, and not regretting one moment of it.  I have a great husband and we have adorable kids.  We have a good great life.  Yes the hubs and the kids drive me CRAZY at times, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

One of the best stories of our dating and married life is our first date.  My husband looked directly at me from across the table and said, "If you are looking for a husband, this date is over."  I sat there for a moment and said, "That's fine with me.  I don't care if I never get married."  That was October of 1991.  We were engaged in May, 1993 and married in February, 1994.  How's that for eating one's words?

One of my favorite moments with my husband was when we were meeting with our pastor and discussing our relationship, etc.  He asked my husband, "How do you know you want to marry her and spend your life with her?"  And MG said, "I knew when she didn't try to change me into someone else that I wanted to be with her."  Little does he know, I am a master sculptor and the changes I make are so subtley instilled that he doesn't even realize it happened!  He is putty in my hands.  (And I would like to say he is a better person for it, but that would just sound cocky.)

At the end of our meetings, the pastor told us, "Well, you are NOT two peas in a pod, but I am confident you will have a long and happy life together.  You remind me of my wife and I."  His homily for our wedding was about how a house has two independent pillars but they are both needed to keep that house standing.  Ok, it was much more eloquent than that, but you get the idea.  He was incorporating the fact that we were cleary two individuals and would remain that way, but that we needed each other for support and foundation.

So today we celebrate 15 years of marriage.  FIFTEEN!  Wow.  I don't have a scanner, but if I did, I would include our wedding photo!

18 comments:

  1. You knew pretty quickly that this was the guy you were going to marry. I can so hear him say "If you are looking for a husband, this date is over." And very bold of him to make that statement on the first date.....did he at least wait til you had ordered dinner?

    He really is a great husband and father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man! i would love to see the wedding photo! we should do a linky thing where everyone posts theirs. except you wouldn't be able to participate.

    and please, it goes without saying that you are the chess master moving the pawn.

    happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on not killing him ;) ..

    Women are very good sculpters, and you're right, they don't even know that it's happened

    My 18th will be in May

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take a picture of your wedding pic and post that, pretty please?! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! My husband and I will celebrate 15 years in the fall. It's shocking just how quickly it goes by, isn't it!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dating story! Happy Anniversary! we are so much alike geesh...I was 26 and not sawyer was 31 when we married

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute, even to someone who doesn't really "do" cute..

    I also wanted to let you know that you have an award to pick up over at my place :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations and Happy Anniversary to You!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally digging the two pillars and foundation story! What a clever pastor. And what a clever you for been the subtle sculptor; I hope to cultivate that someday (I'm not good with patience or subtlety at the moment!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow-That's really cool. I love your stories. My husband would say the same thing about me. I told him, "You are who you are, and I want to marry YOU. If you stopped hunting/fishing, etc. you would be someone ELSE." He thought I might be like his mom and turn into a resentful nag during hunting season. I didn't. Hell, I have the house to myself on and off for a few months. What's bad about that?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the story about the two pillars. Congrats on 15 years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your husband's line on the first date. I guess the next tiem I go out with a man and he says that I should assume the opposite. Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonne Anniversaire!
    Take a picture of your wedding picture with your digital camera and upload it to your blog please!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy anniversary and many more! It just dawned on me that 15 years ago,with everything you had going on getting ready for your wedding, you called me after we had the big earthquake out here Jan. 17, 1994 to make sure we were ok....what a friend. Anyway, you two are perfect for each other! Love rules!

    ReplyDelete